PDA

View Full Version : 2011 crashing when using realistic view with ambient occlusion

m.thomas
2010-04-19, 08:45 AM
PC is windows XP SP3, Intel Xeon E5320 @ 1.86GHz
with 4 GB ram (using 3G switch).
Graphics card is Nvidia Quodra FX550 with driver 6.14.10.9185 which is listed as supported on Autodesk hardware website.

When using realistic view sometimes with and sometimes without ambient occlusion I am experiencing a message like "an error has occurred and the contents of this window will be closed".

I guess that even though the graphics card and driver are supported the ageing slow processor is not up to it ?

After the view window closes if I continue to work in revit it will inevitably rapidly have a fatal error and crash out although offering a chance to save progress.

In case it helps anyone :- if after the initial window closes you hit save and then minimise revit to the taskbar and click in another program this seems to clear a large portion of windows memory being used by revit. When I click on revit to work on it again I find it is stable to work in ...until I get tempted to use the new graphic toys in a 3D view again ;)

cliff collins
2010-04-19, 12:44 PM
I suspect insufficient memory as well. 4 GB of ram is really not enough for the new version of Revit, esp. if file sizes are large, or if you have several linked models.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-19, 01:22 PM
Id be looking for other inconsistancies. I ran through the Beta process with a 94 3.0, with 4 gigs of RAM and NO 3g switch enabled. It ran fine (no crashes).

It was SLOW, but it ran fine...

iru69
2010-04-19, 02:36 PM
Always include information about the size and type of the files you are working on when the error happens if you suspect a RAM issue.

This has nothing to do with the "speed" of the computer.

I'd suggest turning off the 3G switch. The 3G switch introduces instability and was always considered a last resort before the arrival of Revit x64. If your project require more RAM, get more RAM (or in your case, a new computer).

The symptoms you describe are a classic case of revit having incompatibilities with the video card driver (it may say it's "supported", but it's not like Autodesk has never made a mistake before). Try turning off HWA for a few days and see if the problem goes away.

(EDIT: well not sure helps trouble-shoot if you can't use Realistic view with HWA off)

PC is windows XP SP3, Intel Xeon E5320 @ 1.86GHz with 4 GB ram (using 3G switch)...

m.thomas
2010-04-20, 08:24 AM
iru69.
Thanks, I tried not using the 3GB switch but still experiencing crashes in 3D views using realistic + shadows + ambient occlusion..
The file I am working on is only 20mb with no worksets, linked files etc.

Time for a new pc I think.

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-20, 11:35 AM
What files are you trying with? OOTB template? Your template? No template? Does it do it immediately when you check the box, or at different times while manipulating the view?