PDA

View Full Version : Green Building Studio

zanzibarbob7
2010-04-19, 10:19 PM
I am under the impression that access to Green Building Studio is free with a subscription to Revit. First, is that true?

If it is, I have been trying to find the correct link to do so and download the Revit plugin. I used GBS early on when it was free and a few time since for trial purposes and would like to take advantage of it. Can anyone offer guidance on this?

Scott D Davis
2010-04-19, 11:28 PM
Revit 2011 on subscription gives you full access to GBS. You can get the plug-in at:

www.autodesk.com\greenbuildingstudio (http://www.autodesk.com\greenbuildingstudio)

zanzibarbob7
2010-04-20, 12:34 AM
Thanks Scott, I had this site on my favorites already but was having trouble logging in. This time it seemed to work. I downloaded the plugin and the viewer but only had the option of selecting Revit 2010 as my software, not 2011. I thought the site may not have updated yet.

Before I install the 2010 plugin I just want to be sure that's the correct one or should I wait for an updated version compatible with Revit 2011 to appear in the GBS downloads?

Thanks again for the help and I'll deal with it in the morning.

Scott D Davis
2010-04-20, 05:22 AM
only had the option of selecting Revit 2010 as my software, not 2011. I thought the site may not have updated yet.

Hmmm, I think threre is supposed to be a 2011 version. I will have to check and follow up with you.

rudolfweyers346383
2010-04-20, 08:01 AM
Having trouble here logging into the site...any suggestions?

ws
2010-04-20, 08:15 AM
I've just registered with GBS and there isn't a 2011 version of the plug-in listed so far, however the site is down tomorrow for a while so maybe it is being updated then?

Scott D Davis
2010-04-20, 03:56 PM
Ok here's the latest:

There will NOT be a plug-in for Revit 2011 and GBS. This is from the "Sustainable Design Toolbox" blog by Simon Gillis, an Autodesk Application Engineer in the UK.

http://thesustainabledesigntoolbox.typepad.com/blog/2010/04/no-green-building-studio-plug-in-available-for-revit-2011-products.html (http://thesustainabledesigntoolbox.typepad.com/blog/2010/04/no-green-building-studio-plug-in-available-for-revit-2011-products.html)

With Revit 2010 products you have a plug-in to transfer the model directly to the Green Building Studio web service. At the present time a plug-in is not available for the Revit 2011 products so you will need to export to a gbXML file and use the GBS Desktop Tool to upload it instead.

You can obtain the Desktop Tool by logging into Green Building Studio, navigating to the Downloads page and then choosing the following option:

http://thesustainabledesigntoolbox.typepad.com/.a/6a011570ddf46e970c0133eccf2636970b-500wi (http://thesustainabledesigntoolbox.typepad.com/.a/6a011570ddf46e970c0133eccf2636970b-pi)

If you previously downloaded the Desktop Tool (prior to the first week of April) you will need to download again as it was updated to accommodate Autodesk Single Sign On.

Note that Green Building Studio is now available as a Subscription Benefit to Revit Architecture and Revit MEP customers (and continues as a Subscription Benefit for Ecotect Analysis customers).

Scott D Davis
2010-04-20, 04:33 PM
Having trouble here logging into the site...any suggestions?

Autodesk changed the logins to Green Buildng Studio to the new "Single Sign On" system, where your subscription login, GBS login, discussion group login, etc are all the same. Around the beginning of April, you should have received and email about changes to the sign on system.

There is Sign On help at Autodesk.com if you continue to have issues.

zanzibarbob7
2010-04-20, 04:58 PM
Thanks again for the help Scott. I downloaded the GBS Desktop amd logged in just to check if everything was working. It is. This was a very smart move by Autodesk to include this with Revit.

As far as logging in, I was successful yesterday and today but was having troubles a few days a ago. It could be a transitional period for Adsk, and like William said, you might have to wait until they come up again in a few days.

I wasn't planning on doing work, yet, on GBS but just wanted to make sure everything was in place when I did. Thans again Scott, always a source of valuable information and help.

ws
2010-04-20, 05:10 PM
GBS log in is still acting up - it just timed out my session after being logged in for a few minutes and now it says it does not recognise my log in details.

I'll give it a rest until after whatever they are doing tomorrow.

dzatto
2010-04-20, 05:13 PM
For those of us new to Revit, what is GBS exactly and what does it do??

Scott D Davis
2010-04-20, 05:20 PM
For those of us new to Revit, what is GBS exactly and what does it do??

Great question! GBS is yet another Autodesk acronym for Green Building Studio. (We like to call everything out by 3 letters....ACA, RAC, RME, RST, GBS, ACAD...hey wait a sec...thats 4)

Green Building Studio is a whole building energy analysis tool. Used early in the design process, it can help you make informed design decisions about your project, and help you predict how your decisisons will impact the energy performance of the building. It will tell you:

Annual Energy Cost/Life Cycle cost
Carbon Neutrality Potential
Water Use Potential
LEED 8.1/8.2 Status
Photovoltaic/Wind Enery potential

and much more! Too much for me to try and explain here. I would suggest visiting www.autodesk.com/greenbuildingstudio (http://www.autodesk.com/greenbuildingstudio) for more info and videos.

This tool is awesome, and now its FREE for all Revit users to access on Subscription!

dzatto
2010-04-20, 08:02 PM
Wow, sounds like a great tool. Now if I only worked somewhere that used all that stuff! lol

Not much thought goes into energy consumption for small commercial automotive centers and car washes. Car washes use a lot of water. Period. lol

zanzibarbob7
2010-04-21, 03:28 PM
I think that once you start working in GBS you will find it great for early decision making and it's a great tool to show your clients the justification for your decisions. I used it when it was free and you could get a tremendous amount of information in five minutes. Something that would take hours, if not days to get otherwise.

Look though the demos and I think you will find it very useful.

rudolfweyers346383
2010-04-22, 01:16 PM
Which countries are supported by GBS?

kyle.bernhardt
2010-04-22, 02:51 PM
Which countries are supported by GBS?

Well, this depends on what your definition of "supported" is here.

Green Building Studio carries out an annual whole building energy analysis using the DOE-2.2 analysis engine, the same engine used in tools like eQuest. From an analytical perspective, that engine has been around for years and is generally trusted for its accuracy.

Certain regions or countries may have regulations that require a specific analysis methodology, and GBS may not support those methodologies.

However, in the early stages of a project, typically you are not doing compliance-based analyses, but comparative analyses to drive design decisions, so that usually isn't a reason not to use the tool.

Finally, the other critical component for "support" in specific countries is to have Weather data for the project's location. That is where our Climate Server comes in. The Climate Server has over 1.4 million climate data points, so you'll find that a relevant climate data point is just close by.

So, with that background information in mind, I would say that GBS is supported globally for early-stage comparative analysis. If you get into compliance-based analysis later in the project, it's not the primary analysis tool. Note that GBS can be used to provide files for EnergyPlus or DOE-2.2 engines (and the tools that work on top of those engines), so it still has a place to help with those compliance analysis workflows.

Cheers,
Kyle B

rudolfweyers346383
2010-04-23, 08:17 AM
Ok, when i go onto the GBS website and try to start a new project, when i enter the adress, it comes up and says the the web service does not support the country i've selected. please selected a new location and country...What to do?

Joef
2010-04-23, 01:25 PM
This used to be a US only tool. I tried using it years back and it wouldn't accept Canadian addresses. I have assumed it was US only ever since then.

kyle.bernhardt
2010-04-23, 01:40 PM
Ok, when i go onto the GBS website and try to start a new project, when i enter the adress, it comes up and says the the web service does not support the country i've selected. please selected a new location and country...What to do?

What address did you try using?

To my knowledge there shouldn't be a filter for addresses anymore, but I will loop in the GBS team on this thread and we can get to the bottom of this issue. Sorry about the trouble.

Cheers,
Kyle B

kyle.bernhardt
2010-04-23, 01:48 PM
This used to be a US only tool. I tried using it years back and it wouldn't accept Canadian addresses. I have assumed it was US only ever since then.

That was because the tool did not have sufficient weather data for Canada. Within the last year we added support for weather data in all of North America and then globally, so it is no longer a US-only tool.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Les Therrien
2010-04-23, 04:41 PM
very cool tool!

in a couple years, the code here will require all new contruction to be energy modelled.
hopefully this will give us what we need

rpict
2010-04-30, 01:03 PM
we are under subscription in switzerland, i can login to GBS site, but it says:

Your account has expired.
Note: access to your account may be permanently blocked after 60 days from the date of expiration 25.12.2008
Renew your account subscription click this to buy GBS service
General Info:
You must have a corporate account to view this page.

is this only for US-revit-subscription customers?
or is this due i had test account back in 2008 and the system gets confused about that.

-rpict

kyle.bernhardt
2010-04-30, 01:15 PM
we are under subscription in switzerland, i can login to GBS site, but it says:

Your account has expired.
Note: access to your account may be permanently blocked after 60 days from the date of expiration 25.12.2008
Renew your account subscription click this to buy GBS service
General Info:
You must have a corporate account to view this page.

or is this due i had test account back in 2008 and the system gets confused about that.

-rpict
This is a global entitlement for Revit Subscription customers. It sounds like there is a mixup with the account credentials you are using? Are those same account credentials working for you on the Subscription Center?

Cheers,
Kyle B

rpict
2010-04-30, 01:19 PM
This is a global entitlement for Revit Subscription customers. It sounds like there is a mixup with the account credentials you are using? Are those same account credentials working for you on the Subscription Center?

Cheers,
Kyle B

yes is it the same user/pw login i use for ages on subscription center for downloading revit software.

-rpict

kyle.bernhardt
2010-04-30, 06:40 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like something's a bit messed up as part of the roll-out of the GBS entitlement to your Subscription User Account.

Send me a Private Message with your e-mail address and I'll get you in touch with the right people internally at Autodesk to get this worked out. Sorry about this hassle.

Cheers,
Kyle

Joef
2010-04-30, 08:00 PM
I just tried to log in to GBS using my Autodesk Subscription log in and it asked me to fill out a form. I was unable to complete the form as it had US States only and no Canadian provinces. I guess GBS is still US only.

Just went back to retry and scrolled up and discovered the Country selection....
my mistake

pjb
2010-04-30, 08:28 PM
Thanks Scott, I had this site on my favorites already but was having trouble logging in. This time it seemed to work. I downloaded the plugin and the viewer but only had the option of selecting Revit 2010 as my software, not 2011. I thought the site may not have updated yet.

Before I install the 2010 plugin I just want to be sure that's the correct one or should I wait for an updated version compatible with Revit 2011 to appear in the GBS downloads?

Thanks again for the help and I'll deal with it in the morning.

Revit 2011 is now listed as a choice in the dropdown menu for the Green Building Studio client.

pjb
2010-04-30, 11:08 PM
If you had/have a legacy Green Building Studio trial account, but now receive Green Building Studio as a subscription benefit, it is possible that you in fact had two accounts, one of which is your old expired test account. In early April (2nd or 3rd) you should have received an email from Autodesk IT in that provided you with a user name/PW for your Green Building Studio account if it already existed.

If you didn't get the email or can't find it try the standard "forgot username/forgot password" links on the Green Building Studio page:

https://gbs.autodesk.com/gbs/account.mvc/login

to ensure that the UN/PW you are using is what the system expects. If that doesn't work there is a signin FAQ at http://signinhelp.autodesk.com. There is a contact us link that should get you to resolution.

Alex Page
2010-05-03, 01:10 AM
That was because the tool did not have sufficient weather data for Canada. Within the last year we added support for weather data in all of North America and then globally, so it is no longer a US-only tool.

Cheers,
Kyle B

But if I put my address in (New Zealand) - the find lcoation button doesnt work ("error on page"). If I disregard and click "This is my current project location", the following message appears

kyle.bernhardt
2010-05-03, 02:27 PM
But if I put my address in (New Zealand) - the find lcoation button doesnt work ("error on page"). If I disregard and click "This is my current project location", the following message appears

Alex,
I've pinged our GBS team on this one, we should be getting an answer on this soon. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Kyle B

vennix.239720
2010-05-03, 02:49 PM
I'm having a different problem.
Logging on in GBS client I get the following message. see attached screen shot. Trying to log in with subscription name and password which work on the site.
I'm from the Netherlands by the way

marjorie.stein
2010-05-03, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=rpict;1064233

-rpict[/QUOTE]

You are seeing these messages because of the previous test account you had set up. Green Building Studio accounts are typically tied to your email address.
Green Building Studio is a global entitlement for Revit Subscription customers. If you have Subscription, go to the Subscription Center and select “get help signing in to Subscription Center" http://Subscription.autodesk.com/
Use the same login credential for getting into Green Building Studio. https://gbs.autodesk.com
The Green Building Studio account will still show expired until you validate and then log into Green Building Studio.

Best Regards,
Marjorie Stein
Autodesk Green Building Studio Project Manager

marjorie.stein
2010-05-03, 04:27 PM
The Desktop login error frequently occurs if the clock on your computer is not set to the correct time. Resetting your computer clock should resolve the issue, but please let me know if the error persists.

Best Regards,
Marjorie Stein
Autodesk Green Building Studio Product Manager

marjorie.stein
2010-05-03, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Page

Hi Alex,
I suspect your trouble creating a project in New Zealand may be related to your internet browser security setting. Set your security level to medium or low. If you are using IE 8, When you see the Security Warning "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?", Choose NO.

Best Regards,

Alex Page
2010-05-03, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Page

Hi Alex,
I suspect your trouble creating a project in New Zealand may be related to your internet browser security setting. Set your security level to medium or low. If you are using IE 8, When you see the Security Warning "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?", Choose NO.

Best Regards,

Thanks - that solved my problem

iankids
2010-05-04, 04:38 AM
Set everything up, logged in, downloaded software etc all without a hitch!

Looking forward to having a look at what GBS can do.

Thanks

Ian

rpict
2010-05-04, 07:04 AM
The Green Building Studio account will still show expired until you validate and then log into Green Building Studio.

Best Regards,
Marjorie Stein
Autodesk Green Building Studio Project Manager

Hi Marjorie

what do you mean with validate? The only option I have is to renew the account and that leads me to this site:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=11649111
But there is no option for Revit subscription customers, only for Ecotect subscription customers.

-rpict

dradbourne
2010-07-22, 05:20 PM
I'm having a problem with GBS taking alot more time in analysis than I would have expected.
Using a trial subscription for GBS, ii have uploaded the most simple possible revit model (4 walls, roof, floor, a couple windows...) via gbxml/GBS Desktop.
The project run opens in IE and goes through the first steps of analysis. Then when it hits DOE - 2,2 simulation, it seems to stall out at 72%.

It has been on this phase for 2 hours. Is this normal? Am I missing a step/fix?

brightventures
2010-08-27, 09:56 PM
I am looking for a good demo or tutorial to show a sustainable design class how green building studio could work with their revit models. The GBS site indicates to go to the autodesk website for demos. I do not find demos on autodesk website for GBS. I googled for videos and found a youtube video produced by autodesk. Anybody know of a good link to demos or tutorials for GBS?

oliver.riley999900
2011-12-18, 06:44 PM
I'm having a problem with GBS taking alot more time in analysis than I would have expected.
Using a trial subscription for GBS, ii have uploaded the most simple possible revit model (4 walls, roof, floor, a couple windows...) via gbxml/GBS Desktop.
The project run opens in IE and goes through the first steps of analysis. Then when it hits DOE - 2,2 simulation, it seems to stall out at 72%.

It has been on this phase for 2 hours. Is this normal? Am I missing a step/fix?

I am having the exact same problem! Any ideas? Thanks