PDA

View Full Version : "r/u" values in walls

yancey
2010-04-20, 11:59 AM
I have been asked if we need to input the "r/u" value for our walls, glass, roofs prior to sending the revit file to the revit-MEP firm. Do we? Who enters in that information? If it is the Architectural team, where do enter that information?

I know this is basic......

wmullett
2010-04-20, 02:20 PM
Not a basic question... and it is a good one.

The answer right now is there is not definitive answer. This information could be / should be in the wall definition but there are no standards.

Many of the analytical programs don't read this data - it is imputed.

Scott Womack
2010-04-20, 03:50 PM
In discussions with our MEP (Using Revit, Yea!) we will create a series of Shared Parameters, and input the info into those parameters. Our consultant will then be able to schedule that information for them to input into there energy calc software.

jsteinhauer
2010-04-20, 04:41 PM
In discussions with our MEP (Using Revit, Yea!) we will create a series of Shared Parameters, and input the info into those parameters. Our consultant will then be able to schedule that information for them to input into there energy calc software.

Hey Scott,

Why doesn't the Revit allow you to input the R/U values under the Physical Properties of the Wall materials (see attached image)? Other properties of the materials we used could be defined in the materials as well. I think this would go a long way to increasing the size of the 'i' in 'BiM'. Acoustical properties, light reflectivity & transmittance, as well as R/U values are just a few of the things 'i' could/should encapsulate.

Although, I have never tried to add these things to the materials properties. Does anyone have a good video tutorial for this? Or, even have the steps to add physical properties to materials?

Cheers,
Jeff S.

wmullett
2010-04-20, 04:55 PM
You can add shared parameters to materials now.....

Scott Womack
2010-04-20, 06:16 PM
Why doesn't the Revit allow you to input the R/U values under the Physical Properties of the Wall materials (see attached image)? Other properties of the materials we used could be defined in the materials as well. I think this would go a long way to increasing the size of the 'i' in 'BiM'. Acoustical properties, light reflectivity & transmittance, as well as R/U values are just a few of the things 'i' could/should encapsulate

Although I agree with you, How would you handle the situation where batt insulation is taking up the same width of wall core as the studs? You'd have to create and use a different material for each thickness and type of insulation in order to incorporate the R/U values.

I'm purely guessing, but IES handles this info differently than Green Building Studio, differently than Ecotect. Therefore there is no standard for where to store this data. There should be, but currently there isn't.

Take Care! Scott