PDA

View Full Version : Colored Floor Plan Shop Drawings

Fatboy
2010-04-20, 07:24 PM
I have been asked to help a local flooring contractor to do their shop drawings for a very large project (approximately 450,000 sq ft of flooring). They want a colored floor plan to show the floor pattern with the color matching as close to the main color of the particular flooring for that area.

My thought was to do area plans and set up my legend colors according to the flooring used.

Any better ideas or thoughts on how to accomplish the task at hand?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

cliff collins
2010-04-20, 07:39 PM
First, that is a HUGE project. So--that is the number one thing to consider--Scope.
Then the resulting planning required to best manage file size / linked models, worksets,
etc.
Also, just how much of the 450,000 sf of flooring is included? All of it?

Next, is it a single or multi-story building? The existing "shell" will need to be modeled
as a minimum for context, which is a big job in itself. If it is a high rise, then you can use linked files for each floor, or Groups on worksets, etc. If it is one huge floor, you will need to break it up into reasonable portions.

Most importantly, HOW COMPLEX will the new floor patterns be? In most cases, we model all of the patterns as floors in Revit--each part of the pattern is a separate floor, with its own sketch/boundary, and material/surface pattern. This way you have good control over the individual floor types/patterns, you can easily schedule the floors for area take-offs, material quantities, etc.

I would strongly recommend the use of worksets, groups and linked files
for a job of this size, especially if the flooring design-- tile for example-- gets complicated/ornate.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Fatboy
2010-04-20, 08:21 PM
I have all the models from the architect who did the project. So what I have to model building wise is nothing. As far as I can tell, the floor patterns are simple detail lines, so I was debating on putting the floor finish is as a floor and getting a rendered image to use as material so that if the owner/architect needs to do any renderings later, it will be there. I think that is the route that I'm going to pursue.

Do you vary the thickness as you are modeling your different floor materials or do you keep it all the same?

cliff collins
2010-04-20, 08:23 PM
We model them at the actual thickness the floor material is.

Your plan sounds good, with simple floors and materials with render appearances
set.

cheers

Fatboy
2010-04-20, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just needed a second opinion on how to tackle this monster!!!