PDA

View Full Version : Cost Estimation Workflow

barrie.sharp
2010-04-21, 01:49 PM
I have been asked to explore creating cost estimates using Revit models. This could be used during feasability right through to completion. Of course I am aware that Revit produces schedules but I have had issues with phases producing inacurate wall areas. In addition, our QS's cost for areas and items which have not been entirely modelled.

Has anyone had much experience on costing workflow with pitfalls, do's & dont's that should be considered? Anyone used Quantity Takeoff? I would like to leverage Revit as much as possible to save time and money for our QS's but I appreciate Revit isn't design specificly to do that. I just need to understand the limitations to know if it's worth pursuing.

cliff collins
2010-04-21, 01:53 PM
You CAN use Revit for cost estimating, but it's really not the best tool.

The problem is where do you get the cost information from to input into Revit?
( like RS Means database ).

Adesk QTO is also fairly good, but still not ideal.

Check out VICO Office:

http://www.vicosoftware.com/products/Vico-Office/tabid/85286/Default.aspx

cheers

barrie.sharp
2010-04-21, 02:46 PM
That all looks pretty nice!

I wouldn't have to input costs, Revit would just provide takeoffs and the QS can price against the measurements. QTO looked to be a good solution for the takeoff rather than creating complex schedules but what short falls does it have? I was wondering if Revit scheduling produced data useful to cost from without something like QTO.

I can't distinguish between QTO or Vico so I would appreciate some specific feedback about the two! Vico does look good so pricing would also come into it since Vico can do so much more!

jhill1
2010-04-21, 09:11 PM
I've been working on a methodology based on AutoCAD Architecture for more than 1-1/2yrs, and I can gladly say that it is done. Having tried a number of the solutions, I can tell you, that any of the programs require a huge amount of time, creating rules/formulas/libraries.

feel free to contact me if you would like to hear of more details, or potential problem areas

Jamie

jamie . michael . hill at gmail . com (remove spaces and convert at to @, but leave the .'s)

narlee
2010-04-22, 12:47 PM
I have not tried it in a while. I found there were so many design routines I had to change to satisfy input formats that Revit could use for quantity tabulations, that it wasn't worth the effort. For example, trim work families had to be set up to account for size & length of boards. And the rough framing (yes, I draw that) had to be set up in families that, on balance, took too much "in process" customization effort, that it was creating a multiple of time effort. I work on smallish projects, so it's just easier to do QTO's by hand. Maybe it's easier now.

barrie.sharp
2010-04-23, 08:05 AM
This all seems to indicate my gut feeling that it's hard enough producing a model. My employer thinks Revit could produce full bills but I know that is not the case. Besides, I don't want the drawing office taking full responsibility for takeoffs when the QS is better suited to make their own judgment.

Thas being said, can I meet them half way? Is there basic info which is worth sharing at certain stages or is there software that will make takeoff easier than using a scale ruler? i.e. Is QTO/VICO good from a QS point of view?

The problem I face is that our QS's are not Revit savy and don't get what can be done and because they're not driving it forward, they're not interested! Yaya to be me. I have to come up with something :(

tomi.tutti
2010-06-18, 03:00 PM
You might be interested in the Tocoman white paper:

http://tocoman.luovanet.fi/sites/default/files/webfm/user/WHITE%20PAPER%20-%20BIM%20based%20estimating%20and%20scheduling.pdf

It basically describes the principles used by Tocoman and other well known software providers for building model based quantity take-off and estimating. The details might by each country (e.g. Scandinavia, US, UK or Middle-East), but the principles usually are the same.

If you are interested in Tocoman, please visit the address below.

http://www.tocoman.com/bim

Tomi