PDA

View Full Version : Rooms identifying exterior vs. demising wall?

sami
2010-04-21, 09:14 PM
At early design stages I like to use rooms to calculate the areas of residential suites (high rise residential projects)
The problem with that is that I can’t set it to go to outside of exterior wall, center of demising walls, outside of corridor walls.
Now I know the proper way of doing this is using an “area plan” but I prefer the rooms tools in early design, I just find it much more practical.

Anyone have any success in making rooms to somehow identify an exterior wall vs. demising wall?

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-21, 09:36 PM
You can set the Room Bounding Properties to go down the CL of walls, but then youll need Room Seperation Lines along the inner face of the exterior walls.

That, or you use Area Plans.

sami
2010-04-22, 01:50 PM
You can set the Room Bounding Properties to go down the CL of walls, but then youll need Room Seperation Lines along the inner face of the exterior walls.

That, or you use Area Plans.

I guess the trick here is that I need it to be to the outside face of exterior walls not inside, so not sure if room separation lines can help me with this..

jessica.146534
2010-04-22, 02:20 PM
I had a similar problem lately and ended up using Area plans to make it calculate they way I wanted. It's a pain since you have to draw a bunch of Area Separation lines, but it was the only way I came up with to make it work.

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-22, 02:52 PM
I guess the trick here is that I need it to be to the outside face of exterior walls not inside, so not sure if room separation lines can help me with this..

Yeah, thats going to basically kill it, without setting the exterior walls to not be room bounding.

I REALLY want to know why walls cant get an "Area bounding" parameter instead of Areas working the kludgy way they do now.

sami
2010-04-22, 08:46 PM
I REALLY want to know why walls cant get an "Area bounding" parameter instead of Areas working the kludgy way they do now.

that would be nice.
also for most are calculation standard you go to outside wall except when you share a boundary with another area. so there should be a setting to always go to outside face of all walls, when anther room is on the other side of the wall then it goes to the center of that wall..

I think this should go to the wishlist..