PDA

View Full Version : curved storefront?

jessica.146534
2010-04-22, 02:25 PM
I just started new project in Revit (it's my 5th one) and for some reason I can't get curved storefronts to display curved. I click on the pencil tool and select the arc, but when I draw the storefront it just shows it as a straight line. When I select the wall it shows the dashed centerline as curved. Is there some sort of display setting I have turned off? I swear I've done this in the past and not had problems, so what's going on here?

cliff collins
2010-04-22, 02:34 PM
Try changing the Type to Exterior Glazing or Storefront--I recall having this problem in the past and that fixed it.

cheers

jessica.146534
2010-04-22, 02:38 PM
I tried that and it didn't work. Any other suggestions? This seems like a pretty common thing to need and I can't believe Revit doesn't let you draw a curved storefront.

cliff collins
2010-04-22, 02:46 PM
I just tried it and it worked.

1. Wall>Curtainwall

2. Draw an arc. Curtainwall comes in "straight"--but a ghost of the curved sketch is there
if you hover over it.

3. Select the "straight" section and change Type to Exterior Glazing--the Storefront

and it creates a curved curtainwall.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-22, 02:50 PM
Jessica-

If youre using a type of Curtain wall that doesnt have an interior mullion pattern defined, it WILL show as a straight single piece of glass... Unitl you put a Curtain grid/mullion in it. Curved curtain walls in Revit dont actually curve, they segment. So until you define (or use a rule based system... probbaly why switching the type works for Cliff and not for you), itll show as a curve- with one straight segment (forming a chord).

Hope this helps. :)

jessica.146534
2010-04-22, 02:51 PM
I guess the problem I'm having is that the wall I need to draw has a pretty small radius (just under 3'-0"), has no mullions, and is truly curved. It's a historic building and they actually used curved glass. Am I going to have to build this as a Mass with a bunch of curved extrusions/sweeps?

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-22, 02:53 PM
Youre going to have to build it out of something... Other than a Curtain wall, yes. A Custom window family, an in-place family, etc.

cliff collins
2010-04-22, 02:55 PM
Yes--you'll have to make a custom curved wall, as the curtainwall tool will be segmented.

You could use a normal wall, and edit its structure to be glass.

Then you could add profiles for horizontal mullions, and maybe vertical in-place families
or sweeps for the vertical mullions.

Perhaps you could post an example?

cheers

jessica.146534
2010-04-22, 03:07 PM
Cliff,
I like your idea of drawing the glass as a Wall and adding sweeps. That seems to have worked and it will still be considered a "wall"

What kind of example would you like to see? A photo of what I'm trying to draw or what I ended up doing?

cliff collins
2010-04-22, 03:09 PM
Glad that's working for you.

( I was interested in both, if possible--I was just trying to envision exactly what you were trying to build so I could offer the best suggestion.)

cheers......

jessica.146534
2010-04-22, 03:18 PM
I attached a photo of what I'm talking about. It's a bit dark, but they are the curved glass walls on either side of the door.

jessica.146534
2010-04-22, 03:20 PM
And here's a quick 3D view of what I ended up doing. I still have to clean the sweeps up a bit - and put the doors in :) - but it's a start. Thanks for all your help!

cliff collins
2010-04-22, 03:22 PM
Thanks.

Yes--I'd just use "glass walls" with profiles at top/bottom for the top/bot mullion frames,
and then use a vertical column or in-place extrusion for the verticals.

cheers

edit: Looks great! nice work.