PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Shortcuts

peakprecisiondesign
2010-04-22, 10:15 PM
Hi All,
Just fired up 2011 today (so far so good!) with one exception so far: keyboard shortcuts. I thought the little dialog box was pretty slick but after changing and adding my usual shortcuts, I find that only a few of them work. I use "A" for align, works just fine. I have always used "D" for the tape measure tool (from the AutoCAD days of the Distance command). When I type "D", I get detail lines (which are "DL" for me). Trim for me is "T", but it activates the tag command. In the older versions I could adjust the hierarchy of these and had no problems. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Cole

peakprecisiondesign
2010-04-23, 04:42 PM
Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Rick Moore
2010-04-23, 06:57 PM
Had the same problem, I also use T for trim and D for measure. I fixed it by removing all of the shortcuts that began with the letter I wanted to use. I then was able to add back some of the two letter shortcuts

d.stairmand
2010-04-23, 11:28 PM
Cole
All the Shortcuts are 2 Letter Based. If you have "D" for a shortcut, and "DL" for another, it cannot differentiate between the 2

peakprecisiondesign
2010-04-26, 08:58 PM
Hi Dwane,
That's what I figured. I've been doing the same thing Rick is doing and getting rid of all two letter shortcuts that may get in the way of my nice one letter ones! Thanks for getting back to me.

Cole

Dave
2010-05-01, 12:26 AM
Cole
All the Shortcuts are 2 Letter Based. If you have "D" for a shortcut, and "DL" for another, it cannot differentiate between the 2

Using the txt file (2010) it is actualy possible to have single and double letter shortcuts that work correctly using the same first letter. I have done this for years, and i am trying to find a way to go back to the txt file shortcuts (before i install on 5 computers) so that i can keep doing this

dbaldacchino
2010-05-01, 02:43 AM
I believe that since 2010 SP3 and the introduction of the shortcuts in xml format, you can now have shortcuts longer than 2 letters (not sure if the 2 letter limit was done with in 2010 but I believe so). So as you type, Revit is narrowing down the options. Take a look at the status bar as you type to see what I'm talking about. You could type one letter and use the arrow key to cycle through all shortcuts that start with that letter. I don't believe you can go back to the old text file so having one and two key shortcuts is only possible if you don't have a mix of both starting with the same letter.

dfriesen
2010-05-03, 03:57 PM
I don't believe you can go back to the old text file so having one and two key shortcuts is only possible if you don't have a mix of both starting with the same letter.
Whoah, is that right?!?! Is there no longer the 'preferred order' section at all? In 2009, I've got one and two letter shortcuts starting with the same letter, and for those in my preferred section, I hit the one letter and then spacebar. Is that no longer possible at all?

Dave
2010-05-04, 08:24 AM
I have played around with the short cuts today and with some experimentation i have got most of my 1 & 2 letter shortcuts to work, we use 4 button mice + scroll wheel, i dont know whether this is making a difference ?

dgillespie
2010-05-04, 03:11 PM
If 2011 is the same as 2010 SP3, then you must revise your .xml file (use an xml editor - I use Wordpad) to keep the commands you want as "one key" at the top, similar to the old .txt files.
Then set the .xml to read-only, because Revit will reorder them if you don't. I can't remember if you have to re-start Revit or if you can just load it back through the new menu for the initial reload.

You still need to hit the spacebar to execute the command after the first keystroke if you have other commands with the same first letter.

dfriesen
2010-05-04, 05:31 PM
If 2011 is the same as 2010 SP3, then you must revise your .xml file (use an xml editor - I use Wordpad) to keep the commands you want as "one key" ...
You still need to hit the spacebar to execute the command after the first keystroke if you have other commands with the same first letter.

Good, thanks for that bit of advice! I'll give it a go.

dbaldacchino
2010-05-05, 03:35 PM
Please let us know if this works as the old txt file. It would be an interesting tip :)