PDA

View Full Version : why does Revit ask about loading tags

joe.198711
2010-04-23, 06:10 PM
every time i load a new component into my project and go to place that object, Revit asks me if i want to load a tag for it. is this a bug, or is there a way to prevent Revit from asking me this every time? has anyone else noticed this?

thanks for your input, joe

CADMama
2010-04-23, 07:20 PM
On the Options Bar - uncheck the "Tag on placement" box.

cliff collins
2010-04-23, 07:25 PM
Yes. Use a Project Template, which has all those tags loaded into it, to create your Project with, when first starting a new project.

Or--go to Tags>Loaded Tags and you can load them. see attached.

cheers

CADMama
2010-04-23, 07:33 PM
Yes. Use a Project Template, which has all those tags loaded into it, to create your Project with, when first starting a new project.

cheers

Of course!

There are actually two answers to this question. I made it quit asking and you made it so that it does not have to ask. Like the little kid that keeps asking if it can go to the bathroom - I told it to shut up and you told it to quit asking and just go! LOL

patricks
2010-04-23, 08:09 PM
In 2011 the Tag on Placement button has moved from the Options Bar up into the Ribbon at the end of the Modify tab.

joe.198711
2010-04-23, 08:11 PM
thanks for the input, but perhaps i should have specified that this is happening in 2011.

On the Options Bar - uncheck the "Tag on placement" box.

it is as if Revit thinks it is checked and goes straight to asking me if i would like to load a tag. i do not get the option of checking or unchecking "Tag on placement" after i load a family.

cheers

thanks that does help, but some of the components i will likely not tag in my project. for some reason in 2011 after i load a component, Revit wants me to load a tag upon placement. if i wanted to load a tag i would like to tell Revit that, not the other way around. anyway, i do appreciate the input.

iru69
2010-04-23, 09:55 PM
It appears the behavior has changed from previous version to 2011.

In previous version, if you placed a component with the "Tag On Placement" selected, and you didn't have an appropriate tag already loaded, it simply made the check-box inactive and placed the component without a tag.

In 2011, if you don't already have the tag loaded, it prompts you to load a tag - there is no opportunity to turn off the new "Tag on Placement" Ribbon "button" prior to getting the prompt (don't get me started on this half Ribbon/half option bar thing they've got going here).

Fortunately, if you click "No" when prompted, it will turn off the "Tag on Placement" button so it won't prompt you again for that category. Despite the annoyance, the behavior seems more intuitive than the previous behavior. But it's a fine line between the software being helpful and being too smart for it's own good.