PDA

View Full Version : curtain walls embedded into solid walls

sami
2010-04-23, 07:58 PM
I’m creating curtain walls embedded into solid walls (as opposed to placing windows into walls)
I only realized that this could be done recently and find this technique great for what I need to do (different mullion configurations on the windows)
So my question is this, are there any drawbacks to this technique? Any reason why I shouldn’t use this technique?

wmullett
2010-04-23, 08:14 PM
Not that I know of...We have been using this for several yaers for aluminum tube typ windows - that is what you are using?

sami
2010-04-23, 08:44 PM
thanks, I'm just using it during early design to model large windows that have different mullion and panel configuration..

Munkholm
2010-04-23, 08:48 PM
I use Curtain Walls as "Windows" all the time in early design, but I always end up replacing them with actual windows later on... more specificly when it´s time to schedule the "windows" ;-)

nancy.mcclure
2010-04-24, 01:00 AM
Embedded CWs as windows is a great schematic option, and can progress through the life of the model, but if your project eventually defines a fixed mullion layout (or a couple of variations) used multiple times, I still see the benefit of creating the window family, primarily for scheduling. Another option? Make a custom CW panel to represent your mullion layout(s) to ensure consistancy while still bringing forward your schematic CW element.