PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - Launch by Double Clicking File Icons

saeborne
2010-04-24, 11:10 PM
Is anyone else having this issue?

Let's say I have revit 2011 running, with some .rvt file open.

In windows explorer, I double click a icon for a .rfa or a different .rvt file. The OS (win 7 x64) tries to launch another instance of Revit, instead of openning the file in the same instance.

Anyone else having issues with this? Anyone know how to fix?

Thanks,

Bryan

cliff collins
2010-04-26, 02:43 PM
I beleive that is expected behavior. Once the app is open, the user should open files
from within the open app. If not, OS will open a new session. Not sure if there's a way
to change this in Win 7 or Revit?

cheers.....

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-26, 03:00 PM
Odd. Mine doesnt do that.

Win7 x64, RAC 2011. If Revit is opened, and i double click an RVT/RFA, it opens in the opened session.

saeborne
2010-04-26, 05:40 PM
Yes, other computers in our office behave like Arron's machine. Something is squirrelly with my set up.

dzatto
2010-04-26, 05:49 PM
I remember from XP, there was a setting in windows explorer somewhere. Maybe in the file options? Don't know. I just remember it coming up and we figured a way to make it work right.

kimheaver
2010-06-29, 03:37 AM
I always launch revit by double clicking the rvt file but after uninstalling the old Revit 2010, double clicking always launches another session.
I guess something is screwy in the registry, I looked for a repair option on the install disk but there doesn't seem to be one, it just says Revit is already installed.
Is the full uninstall & reinstall the only solution?

Kim

edit-
I found that there is a repair option in the windows add/remove programs and start to uninstall, but that didn't help, I then un-installed and re-installed, still no luck.

gaby424
2010-06-29, 06:09 PM
if you need a shortcut until finding the setting to fix it try drag and drop the file like this(maybe it`s an old Win metod but diserve to be reminded):
-Supose you have Win Explorer Maximased and Revit Opened bud hidden behind(or minimised) with a already file open inside it.
-Now in Win Explorer Click and Hold on the new file that need to open.
-Still Holding move the mose to roll over the revit icon in the taskbar(do not relese the button). Revit will pop up. Now (Still Holding) move you mouse over the Big "R" icon on the top right corner of the main window of revit and Release the mose left buttton. The file will open. All proces is like 3-4 sec.
(if the new file is a family and you want it directly imported in the curent project(or nested in another already opened family) from the revit main window than modify the final trajectory of your mose so you release the button not on the big "R" but on a view from already opened project/family)