PDA

View Full Version : Creating custom elevation tags in RAC 2011

Joshua Kohl
2010-04-25, 06:53 PM
I am in the process of creating custom elevation tags and would like to know if anyone can tell me how to keep the parameters and the dividing line reading horizontal and with the detail number on top and the sheet number on bottom and have only the "pointer" rotate. I have attached a jpg of what I am currently getting. I would like all of the tags to look like 4/B-1 and have only the "pointer" rotate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't see an RAC Families guide anywhere and the "new" help in 2011 isn't as helpful as past versions.

Thanks in advance!!

Alex Page
2010-04-26, 12:01 AM
I dont belive you can get the pointer only to rotate - but you can put some visibility parameters into your "pointer" block so at least the detail number always goes to the top - heres mine which you can pull apart

Joshua Kohl
2010-04-26, 01:40 AM
Alex, thank you. I will take a look at yours to see how you created it. If that is true, not being able to achieve that really takes the wind out of the enthusiasm I had for the new "customizable" elevation tags.

Alex Page
2010-04-26, 02:06 AM
yeah I was dissapointed as wel...but looking at it now Ive got used to what Ive done and I dont mind it at all

brethomp
2010-04-26, 11:47 AM
You will still need to put 4 (or more) pointer objects in your elevation tag. Even though in your design you can only use one of them at a time. The elevation tag will use the closest pointer it can find. This won't keep the text and line perfectly straight, but it will stay closer to readable than the example you posted. Maybe for 2012 we will have the option to keep the inner part of the tag from rotating.

patricks
2010-04-26, 12:59 PM
Honestly, we're not even going to bother changing our elevation tags, I don't think. We've been using the standard Revit circular ones for over 7 years now, so why change?

sfaust
2010-04-26, 10:01 PM
Honestly, we're not even going to bother changing our elevation tags, I don't think. We've been using the standard Revit circular ones for over 7 years now, so why change?

dont think we are either as the original ones never really bothered me, but I kind of feel bad about it. It's been such a big thing for so long i feel like I should actaully use the update :)

cdatechguy
2010-04-26, 10:36 PM
This is one I created to match our elevations from Autocad....
I especially like the ability to rotate the sheet label.

Mr Spot
2010-04-29, 04:10 AM
The frustrating part is this issue was highlighted to Autodesk very early in the process and yet its still got released half baked...

I am so sick of half baked tools in Revit that never seem to get finished...

Exar Kun
2010-05-07, 04:37 AM
I wish we could get away with not updating our elevation tags but some of the ones we've been using come out all messed up in 2011. I take it there is no way we can "open for editing" the upgraded tags? A bit annoying that we have to go and re-draw a couple of these tags but with reduced functionality (having the centre that rotates when you don't want it to).

hermeytheelf
2010-05-13, 12:06 AM
I just made mine and I found that it didn't require there to be four instances of the nested 'pointer' family. My pointer is simplified by removing the label. The body holds the label and it is reporting both parameters. The callout will align itself to the nearest element (like a wall in the example) that you place it near regardless of the angle.
Someone, please point out a fatal flaw in this, otherwise I think we will put it in our template.

JB

Alex Page
2010-05-13, 12:37 AM
I just made mine and I found that it didn't require there to be four instances of the nested 'pointer' family. My pointer is simplified by removing the label. The body holds the label and it is reporting both parameters. The callout will align itself to the nearest element (like a wall in the example) that you place it near regardless of the angle.
Someone, please point out a fatal flaw in this, otherwise I think we will put it in our template.

JB
I havnet checked yet - but on your PDF you say "eleimination of the 3 additional view checkboxes". Are you saying if using your method you dont get all the check boxes showing up?

hermeytheelf
2010-05-13, 10:27 PM
Are you saying if using your method you dont get all the check boxes showing up?

Yes, that is what I am saying. The checkboxes are nice for interior elevations but I don't really see their place in an exterior elevation. I can't think of ever needing one exterior elevation callout to reference another view in a different cardinal direction.

Alex Page
2010-05-14, 12:37 AM
Yes, that is what I am saying. The checkboxes are nice for interior elevations but I don't really see their place in an exterior elevation. I can't think of ever needing one exterior elevation callout to reference another view in a different cardinal direction.

I agree with you - the checkboxes arent useful for this application of the elevation markers (Ive create a different type with x4 checkboxes for Interior Room elevations - completely different look)

But Ive tried to replicate your "One pointer" idea and the sheet number ends up on top if I am pointing down - how did you create it that your sheet number is always below your detail number?

brethomp
2010-05-14, 11:41 AM
But Ive tried to replicate your "One pointer" idea and the sheet number ends up on top if I am pointing down - how did you create it that your sheet number is always below your detail number?
Hermeytheelf put both the detail number and the sheet number in one label. This will keep the detail number on top. But there are a couple of side effects. First the two lines of text are very close to each other, with no way to control the distance between lines, dangerously close to the line between them. Second you have to set the text to have a transparent background, so the line will show through, which could be troublesome if you have a long sheet number.

Another alternative is to keep the detail number and sheet number as separate labels, and have 2 pointer objects in the family. One pointing up and one pointing down.

hermeytheelf
2010-05-14, 08:46 PM
...the line will show through, which could be troublesome if you have a long sheet number.

Of course, I was forgetting about long sheet numbers. I took another pass and separated the label into two label. I actually like this better because the Position on Sheet is ALWAYS bound by the pointer and a really long sheet number will NEVER obscure a pointer.

mbalsom
2010-05-14, 10:09 PM
Of course, I was forgetting about long sheet numbers. I took another pass and separated the label into two label. I actually like this better because the Position on Sheet is ALWAYS bound by the pointer and a really long sheet number will NEVER obscure a pointer.

For those of us not up to speed on custom elevation tags, would you mind posting your elevation family so I (we) can do some reverse engineering to understand your tricks and tips.
Thanks Mark

hermeytheelf
2010-05-14, 10:14 PM
Sure, just dont tell my boss ;-)

mbalsom
2010-05-15, 10:45 AM
Sure, just dont tell my boss ;-)

Thanks mate
Promise I won't tell.

keyp
2010-06-04, 03:45 PM
I just want the 1/4" size option from 2010 (and previous) in 2011.
Anyone having the same frustration with the 1/2" being too big?
Suggestions on copy/transfering the symbol from 2010 to 2011?

r23riopel
2010-06-15, 05:05 PM
As for maintaining the orientation of the text so that it is the same no matter where you place it on a view, you should try applying a fixed rotation to the label in the elevation body. This works well for me. I wish that anything drawn in the elevation body would have that option, but unfortunately, I can only get the label to maintain it's orientation.

These are not the be-all and end-all, but the new features are allowing us to get closer to what so many people are comfortable seeing.

Hope this helps.

rebeccamcwilliams
2010-10-10, 10:26 PM
I dont belive you can get the pointer only to rotate - but you can put some visibility parameters into your "pointer" block so at least the detail number always goes to the top - heres mine which you can pull apart

Can you give a bit more information on what visibility parameters you are using to keep the detail number on top? I am super frustrated because I have sheet numbers on top for my east and south elevations.

Thanks for your help!

Alex Page
2010-10-11, 04:42 AM
Heres the family in tha project - have another look at what Ive done (I think it may be different to previous version - it was a while ago)

Edit the Annotation Symbol "Elevation - Bldg Body"
Note that the text is in this family, not the Nested symbol "Elevation - Bdlg Pointer". Make Sure "Keep readable" is clicked for the text
x2 Bldg Pointers are loaded in which gives you x2 "tick" buttons in the final family

Note the following shortcomings:
1. Only use when needed for a SINGLE elevation - clicking both "tick" boxes aint what this is for - create other types for this
2. Seems to work everywhere but NOT if you rotate or mirror the elevation body

Joshua Kohl
2011-08-18, 07:58 PM
Here is the family we use now. It has 3 pointers - an UP, a DOWN & a LEFT/RIGHT.

I can't take credit for creating this but I can't remember from who or where I found out how to create this from (it was a while ago).

If you can live with some slightly off kilter numbers when you have an angled wall then it works great. I like this much better than the stock Revit marker, the view number on those always seemed to get in the way of things.

This will not be suitable for interior elevations, just exterior or where you only need one arrow/reference.

Revitaoist
2011-08-18, 08:15 PM
A very simple solution to this is to use your typical exterior elevation tag for vertical and horizontal walls, and use an interior elevation tag for diagonal walls. see attached

billy007nh
2011-08-22, 03:03 PM
A very simple solution to this is to use your typical exterior elevation tag for vertical and horizontal walls, and use an interior elevation tag for diagonal walls. see attached

I want the Interior Tag to look just like the Exterior Tag by adding the filled areas to form a triangle but with leaving the Label Tag outside and still having the Sheet Label inside the circle. I seem to get errors that tell me incompatible view directions?

Thanks
Billy

Joshua Kohl
2011-09-19, 02:14 PM
If you are using a custom elevation marker like what is shown earlier in this thread and you have the need to rotate the plan crop region to orientate the view on a sheet differently than how it is in the model, you might have to use a rotated version of the custom elevation marker.

If your original wall is on a slight angle and you rotate is so that it is orthogonal on the sheet your probably wouldn't need to change it at all, the custom elevation marker should account for that and adjust accordingly.

However if you need to rotate a view CW 90 degrees, CCW 90 degrees or 180 degrees it will flip the view/drawing numbers in the custom elevation marker and it will look wrong.

For what it's worth, I have attached rotated ones that I have used for these occasions. My original one is posted earlier in this thread.

I know there will be someone that says just to use the OOTB elevation marker and the problem will be solved but to me I never really liked the look of that one.