PDA

View Full Version : Project template

bob.86982
2010-04-26, 08:54 PM
I want a project template that has all of the settings, grapiics overides, families, etc as in an existing project. Can I just save the project as a template and remove all of the model geometry or is there a better way?

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-26, 09:00 PM
Manage --> Transfer Project Standards...

bob.86982
2010-04-26, 09:26 PM
but that doesn't bring in the families.

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-26, 09:59 PM
I think you can open your project and do a Save-As > Template.... But i wouldnt. In my experience projects all acquire some kind of "bagge" in them that very rarely gets cleaned out properly.

Id take the time to reload the families in to a clean Template, but thats just me.

Andre Carvalho
2010-04-26, 10:14 PM
...but thats just me.

And me too.

Andre Carvalho

bob.86982
2010-04-26, 11:06 PM
I understand your reasons for that but I have so many families including anotation families that it takes a lot of time to get all the ones I need loaded. If this doesn't work for me i'll try your suggestion.

Thanks

Paul Monsef
2010-04-27, 12:22 AM
I understand your reasons for that but I have so many families including anotation families that it takes a lot of time to get all the ones I need loaded. If this doesn't work for me i'll try your suggestion.

Thanks
You would really only need to do this once. Load all the familes into the fresh template and then save the JOURNAL file.

Then, run it whenever you need to.

NKramer
2010-04-27, 12:28 AM
Also you cannot save a workshared project out as a template, so for some that's not even an option...

Nick

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-27, 12:38 AM

Thanks

Doing it right takes a bunch of time, yes. But i have to admit, the majority of the time i spent building my template wasnt spent loading families. ive got a few hundred in my template, but i loaded them all in in less than a day. I know, because i also RELOAD them in every year, even when i dont make the template from scratch.

NKramer
2010-04-27, 12:45 AM
Doing it right takes a bunch of time, yes. But i have to admit, the majority of the time i spent building my template wasnt spent loading families. ive got a few hundred in my template, but i loaded them all in in less than a day. I know, because i also RELOAD them in every year, even when i dont make the template from scratch.

Do you upload the families outside of the project environment? there was discussion that doing this from 2009 to 2010 would actually decrease file size/ increase performance. I don't recall if this was ever confirmed.

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-27, 01:28 AM
I upgrade them from the library locations and then reload them in one by one to overwrite the ones in the template. I dont EVER look at file size, because (aside from file bloat because things are all screwed up) i find its just not important in Revit. (Just my opinion).

I also dont seem to have many models with laggy performance, or performance issues.

But, i do the reload from to replace all of the families because of library pathing, nothing more. Our "Current library" doesnt upgrade, we make a new library in a new location, by Revit version. So i reload them to path them to the right location, is all.

bob.86982
2010-04-27, 01:54 AM
Thanks all for your comments. I'm a one person operation so some of these issues arn't big for me. It seems quickest for me to take a project that is set up the way I want, and then just removing the things that won't be typical for most other projects. The only problem I've encountered so far is the template is retaining levels from the original project that no longer exist and I can't figure out how to delete them.

dlpdi5b
2010-04-27, 05:22 AM
Just go into an elevation or section where the levels are visible and you can select and delete them.