PDA

View Full Version : Nested Detail Component - Always On Top?

mjward1
2010-04-27, 09:13 PM
Revit 2010

Is it normal that a nested detail component will always remain on top in the project? And yes, I've slammed the "send to back" a million times to no avail, so it's not an order issue.

I draw filled regions or detail lines too and put "on top" and they stay behind the object.

I guess another way of asking this question is will a nested detail component with a filled region or masked region override it's placement in the project?

I can't remember if that is normal.

mjward1
2010-04-27, 09:34 PM
Okay, well this works just fine in Revit 2009. Lines/Masking region goes ahead or behind like it should.

2010, Detail Components stay on top ALWAYS.

Ideas?

mjward1
2010-04-27, 09:38 PM
Figured it out.

I have no idea why it does this, but if you make a detail component "shared" it will not allow you to control the plane it "exists" on. It will always remain "on top" no matter what.

Time to undo some stuff.

mjward1
2010-04-28, 01:01 PM
Well, it just occurred to me why this is stinks.

I can't keynote individual pieces of the Detail Component, which was pretty awesome.

That functionality is broken. I'll file a request I suppose.

Does anyone have 2011 to confirm if this item is fixed?

Simply nest two Detail Components together that are shared, see if you can change the order in project.

Ning Zhou
2010-04-28, 02:30 PM
i had similar issue just recently, if it works in 2009, broken in 2010, then can Autodesk fix it in 2011 or already fixed (hopefully)?

mjward1
2010-04-28, 05:01 PM
Joe - I got a response from the help desk and they have said that this issue is resolved in 2011, so that's good at least.

Bad part is I just started a project in 2010 and we probably won't roll out 2011 until later this year.

mysixstring
2011-05-04, 12:14 PM
I'm still having this issue with both 2011 and 2012. This makes nested detail components not usable for us. I have sent another support request off to Autodesk.

Sweetshelby
2011-12-15, 04:41 PM
I am using 2012 Revit and after creating quite a few detail components this way and doing 3 details in our project and keynoting them we then realized we could not move back the shared detail components behind a break line. This really hurts because we needed them shared to do the keynotes.
I had to go back and "save as" change the names, uncheck the shared box and reload them all and then change them in all the details. Now I have to also do text instead of keynotes. Pretty big issue.

PLEASE!!! Get word to Autodesk to fix this issue ASAP!!

The Monk
2011-12-15, 10:38 PM
I know with masking regions in nested families it makes a big difference which work plane a masking region is placed upon. For instance; the issue I was facing were tables of various sizes with a nested chair object. In certain configurations the chairs would display correcly in relationship to the tables; ie the table mask that portion of the chairs under the edge of the table. However, in other configurations some chairs would work correctly while others did not.

What I discovered was the table masking region needed a work plane that was associated with the table top. And I had to go into the chair nested family and assoicate the masking region there with the seat cushion of the chair. Again I used a reference plane to be certain that would work.

So far so good. You might try the same approach. It would be interesting if that resolves the issue. I understand that need for using Keynotes. Although Note Blocks can work - a little more labor but do-able.

lecartuchen
2024-04-19, 04:12 AM
Here we are and Revit 2023 still has the same BIG ISSUE unsolved!!!
Did anyone find a workaround for this issue?