PDA

View Full Version : Revit the problem solver

Scott D Davis
2004-12-09, 02:08 AM
There was a geometric problem to solve over in the AutoCAD forums....I figured it out in Revit! It's over THERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=11385)if you are interested! (includes a RFA dowload to check it out!) Figured some of you don't make it over to the AutoCAd forums here at AUGI much, so you may have missed it!

beegee
2004-12-09, 02:12 AM
Figured right .... :shock:

Ever the evangelist - Scott.

Scott D Davis
2004-12-09, 02:17 AM
REVerend Scott.....;)

The example actually introduces a ton of possibilities...Ref Lines Rock! In the simple triangle problem I posted, a set of Ref lines are locked to a Ref Circle (yes....Circle!) As the geometry changes, and in particular the size of the circle, the Ref Lines stay locked to the Ref Circle and follow it around the circumference! Other Ref Line options include Rectangles, arcs, and polygons....no splines or ellipses yet....

mjfarrell
2004-12-09, 03:03 AM
Scott,

Thanks for your post, as it validated that there was a solution.
Those guys were starting to think it couldn't be done too.
I'm getting even more excited for the 19th, and my first encounter
with Revit with some time on my hands. Although it will only be
a version 6 demo......

Scott D Davis
2004-12-09, 03:10 AM
MJ,

You could download the 7.0 demo, fully fuctional for 60 days....

The solution was achievable in Revit, simply for the fact that you can constrain dimensions to be equal. Otherwise, I think it would have been tough as a geometric solution with no (human-calculated) math.

mjfarrell
2004-12-09, 03:39 AM
Scott,

I just may schlep myself over to a high-speed connection for that
7 of Revit.:idea:

Steve_Stafford
2004-12-09, 04:12 AM
I just may schlep myself over to a high-speed connection for that
7 of Revit.:idea:and that'd be right clever of ya!

irwin
2004-12-09, 04:19 AM
REVerend Scott.....;)

The example actually introduces a ton of possibilities...Ref Lines Rock! In the simple triangle problem I posted, a set of Ref lines are locked to a Ref Circle (yes....Circle!) As the geometry changes, and in particular the size of the circle, the Ref Lines stay locked to the Ref Circle and follow it around the circumference! Other Ref Line options include Rectangles, arcs, and polygons....no splines or ellipses yet....
No need for any of this complexity. In the family editor I just drew the original figure, ignoring the correct dimension values, created dimensions for the 5, 7, and 12 lengths, labeled them, and set the values to 5, 7, and 12 in the Family Types dialog. Doesn't require any circles, ref lines, or equal length dimensions. I posted the family in the other thread. Of course, Ref Lines rock anyway :-).

Scott D Davis
2004-12-09, 06:36 AM
Irwin,

I was so proud of my solution and how it worked! And then you proved it could be done much more simply! Complex, yes.....but I got it to flex! I guess I was working with blinders on...so focused that it took a complex solution, I didn't see the simple one. And I should know better, it's the beauty of Revit...it's doesn't take complex solutions to make things work!

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-09, 03:01 PM
Irwin's solution is drawn without the the opposite leg of the right triangle... wonder why it doesn't work if you draw one in? Anyways, cool solution guys and we all need to save up for a flame-suit for Scott ;)

irwin
2004-12-09, 10:29 PM
Irwin,

I was so proud of my solution and how it worked! And then you proved it could be done much more simply! Complex, yes.....but I got it to flex! I guess I was working with blinders on...so focused that it took a complex solution, I didn't see the simple one. And I should know better, it's the beauty of Revit...it's doesn't take complex solutions to make things work!
Sorry, Scott. I didn't mean to upstage you. Knowing Michael and Jim, the two developers that worked on the family solver, I just naturally assumed it would work, so I didn't even think about trying something complex.