PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2011 Rollout - INI update & KS

Mr Spot
2010-04-29, 03:14 AM
Hey,

Previously for a rollout I would create a deployment, then run a batch utility that I created to update the Revit.ini and KeyboardShortcuts.txt file. Then finally install any extensions.

With XML keyboard shortcut files I'm wondering if anyone has developed a more intuitive way to roll it out.

I'm imagining a script that:

Scans the Revit.ini file for particular lines to add and update rather than simply overwriting, thus not effecting any existing extensions installed.
Updates the xml keyboard shortcuts file that Revit users initially. Currently I have to wait til a user uses revit and then from within Revit select the xml file...Another cool ability would be to easily include extensions within a deployment... I guess this is probably possible if you know how to edit the msi?

Any ideas? If not, I might need to create an API to do this.

heath.simone
2010-04-29, 03:46 AM
You can insert your custom revit.ini file directly into the network deployment here:

AdminImage\RevitSetup\RevitStructure and
AdminImage\RevitSetup\RevitStructure\program files\Autodesk\Root\program

You can insert here:

C:\Users\%Username%AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\KeyboardShortcuts.xml

Ohhh the serect is out now... =;-)

This is for 2011 btw.

Mr Spot
2010-04-29, 04:18 AM
Hey Heath, Thanks about the Deployment location.

I was aware of keyboardshortcuts.xml location but I thought revit had to be run once before you could overwrite it, as it doesn't exist yet?

heath.simone
2010-04-29, 04:27 AM
I haven't actually included the keyboard shortcuts in the deployment, we have a CAD support menu created with a number of fixes and useful things (object enablers, plug-ins,etc..) that the user can run. The xml issue has only been around since the SAP for 2010 was released.

I didn't feel like re-deploying the package to all our servers so i just stuck the Keyboard Shortcut Fix in the CAD menu and let the users run it from there.

Yeah there are a few tricks with the deployments you can do and potentially a few pain in the butts also. It all depends on how your network/deployment system is setup.

heath.simone
2010-04-29, 04:34 AM
I will be in the next day be creating the file before the first run of Revit and seeing if the custom shortcuts file is overwritten.

belinda.66428
2010-05-11, 12:01 AM
Hi Chris,
The information we are getting is the deployment isn't working properly. We have looked at deploying a few times and it doesn't seem to include the rendering. In previous years you could alter this in the config of the deployment but RAC2011 doesn't have the option. Have you experienced any issues with your deployments?:roll:

Danny Polkinhorn
2010-06-30, 09:33 PM
Chris, did you ever find a resolution for the Keyboard Shortcuts issue?