PDA

View Full Version : Design Option Help

wse1
2004-12-09, 04:30 AM
I have started using design option for the first time on a current project. I have created two options for two different floor plan layouts All has gone well, but I have discovered that I mistakingly drew several walls as part of an option when they should have been common to both or part of the base model. Can objects be changed from an option to model or must I delete them and start over?

Thanks for your guidance!

Scott D Davis
2004-12-09, 05:10 AM
Use Cut (ctrl-x) from the option, quit editing the option, and go to paste>same place back in the original model.

SCShell
2004-12-09, 01:24 PM
Hey there,
Design options rock; however, as Scott pointed out....you can't have any single item in two different options. That is why you have to cut it out of one, and paste it into the other. What this really means is that sometimes, you have to duplicate certain items that you want shown in both options. (Paste alligned works great for this.) I typically have several walls, floors, ceilings, doors, etc. shown in both the base model and the option plan.

The other issue to be aware of is this. If you have a wall corner which has one wall in option 1 and the other wall in the base model, then you will have a problem trimming them together. Typically, when that occurs, I will cut the wall in the base model just beyond the corner, and replace it with a piece of wall which is part of option 1, thus trimmer nicely. Revit will show the new butted wall joint better, or at least, it won't be as obvious.

The point is, options do require some duplication of elements if you want those elements shown in both layout. But, don't worry, any duplicated elements will be removed once you select a 'primary' design.

On a side note, sometimes I don't delete the option. I like to use design options to show Alternates on the Construction Documents. It really works well to have these 'duplicated' plans and 3D views which can be controlled to show either the base or option plans so that any Add/Deduct Alternates can be easily shown. I just create two sheets as needed, (A-1 and A-1 Alternate) in order to show both the base bid and alternate bid plans/views.

Good luck
Steve