PDA

View Full Version : Fascia not mitering

dzatto
2010-04-30, 04:48 PM
Why will my fascia not miter at my dutch hip (see attachment)? It miters everywhere else perfectly. Any ideas?

Paul Monsef
2010-04-30, 05:01 PM
That's odd. I usually see that happen when the eaves do not align.

Did you forget to check "extend into core" on one side?

dzatto
2010-04-30, 05:10 PM
That's odd. I usually see that happen when the eaves do not align.

Did you forget to check "extend into core" on one side?
I don't have that checked for any of them. Should I?

The only two it's not working on happen to be offset from the main roof 2' horizontally. Maybe that's messing it up?

Paul Monsef
2010-04-30, 05:44 PM
I don't have that checked for any of them. Should I?
I generally like my roof slopes to start there. but as long as everything is consistant it doesn't matter.

The only two it's not working on happen to be offset from the main roof 2' horizontally. Maybe that's messing it up?
Could be, All three sides of that hip are offset 2'?

Can you upload the roof?

dzatto
2010-04-30, 06:22 PM
I generally like my roof slopes to start there. but as long as everything is consistant it doesn't matter.

Could be, All three sides of that hip are offset 2'?

Can you upload the roof?
Well, the dutch hip part protrudes out 2' further than the rest of the roof.

Not sure how to upload just the roof. It's my first Revit project. Still learning. Getting better though! lol

Paul Monsef
2010-04-30, 08:35 PM
Or idrop.io the file if it's too large to post. I thought deleting everything but the roof in a copy would make the file size easier to deal with.

dzatto
2010-05-01, 08:28 PM
Or idrop.io the file if it's too large to post. I thought deleting everything but the roof in a copy would make the file size easier to deal with.
Okay, here it is. I had to make a lot of the roofs by sketching one face at a time and joining them. One or two wouldn't join at all. If you happen to have some spare time (HAHA), if you could take a look at how I did the roofs and let me know if i went about it correctly or if there is a better way. I'd really appreciate it. This was my first roof in Revit.

truevis
2010-05-03, 04:17 PM
Often, it's better to just make in-place families for that kind of stuff, Thus, you shall have more control.

Paul Monsef
2010-05-03, 07:45 PM
Okay, here it is. I had to make a lot of the roofs by sketching one face at a time and joining them. One or two wouldn't join at all. If you happen to have some spare time (HAHA), if you could take a look at how I did the roofs and let me know if i went about it correctly or if there is a better way. I'd really appreciate it. This was my first roof in Revit.
OK so here's what I think... Certainly not the Law.

Try to create the roof (as much as possible) using as few lines as possible, splitting into three sections to raise one in order to create a dutch (or flemish) hip is acceptable - but as complicated as your roof is I would not to it that way... You'll get other issues such as fascias not mitering, odd lines where gutters fascias meet etc...

see the attached. for the one section create the upper hip portion FIRST, then extend the eaves down. I think you were sloping from the bottom and trying to add the hip. This is a little easier to draw & your fascias will look right,

I'll try to look at the other section a bit later.

dzatto
2010-05-03, 07:59 PM
OK so here's what I think... Certainly not the Law.

Try to create the roof (as much as possible) using as few lines as possible, splitting into three sections to raise one in order to create a dutch (or flemish) hip is acceptable - but as complicated as your roof is I would not to it that way... You'll get other issues such as fascias not mitering, odd lines where gutters fascias meet etc...

see the attached. for the one section create the upper hip portion FIRST, then extend the eaves down. I think you were sloping from the bottom and trying to add the hip. This is a little easier to draw & your fascias will look right,

I'll try to look at the other section a bit later.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'll check out the files as soon as I can and try what you described. I'm cleaning off my computer so IT can blow it out tomorrow. Clean install of Win 7 and.....dare I say.....Revit! Now I can start doing my day job in Revit (not just my side jobs).

I'd love your input on how I did my roof and any tips you may have. All of the houses this guy does have complex roofs. He was impressed with how the roof looked, but any info on making it easier for me would be greatly appreciated! No need to make time, though. If you happen to want to check it out, cool. If you don't have time, I completely understand. :beer:

dzatto
2010-05-04, 01:04 AM
okay, I tried what you said and this is what I got. This has happened to me before, and I thought it was wierd that Revit wouldn't keep the eaves aligned along the slope automatically. That's why I split the sketch to get the dutch hip, and had to figure out and manually set the eave height. I can't figure out what you did that I didn't do. lol

Paul Monsef
2010-05-04, 02:06 PM
okay, I tried what you said and this is what I got. This has happened to me before, and I thought it was wierd that Revit wouldn't keep the eaves aligned along the slope automatically. That's why I split the sketch to get the dutch hip, and had to figure out and manually set the eave height. I can't figure out what you did that I didn't do. lol
sorry I don't have time today for a better explaination; but look at my roof skech, the only slope defining lines I used were up at the hip.

dzatto
2010-05-04, 02:21 PM
sorry I don't have time today for a better explaination; but look at my roof skech, the only slope defining lines I used were up at the hip.
I thought I did the same thing. Maybe not. I'll check. Again, thanks for helping with this. :beer: