PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Shooting Element Joins and Attaching

ronsarlo
2010-05-03, 06:27 PM
Hey all, I'm 2 months into Revit and I'm not freaking out and haven't smashed in my screens quite yet.

However......
It seems that quite often, I want to join stuff together or attach walls to floors, and Revit spits back in my face the Warning Popup Box telling me that "Element could not be cut by joined element".

Ok, I'm quite cool with that. But naturally, the question is WHY!?!?!
If you (the software) isn't going to let me do something, you gotta explain yourself.

All it tells me is that it's "Error 1".
It's always "Error 1", *grumble*, that doesn't help me at all!

When I expand "Error 1", all it does is list 1 (or 2) elements by Workset, System Family Type, Family Type Name and the element ID.
But this doesn't really help me at all, I already know which elements I'm dealing with cause I clicked on them to join/attach them.

So I'm here trying to find out if anybody has ever assembled some sort of trouble shooting guide for joining/attaching elements.

thank you so much!

rkitect
2010-05-03, 07:18 PM
Actually, it's not ALWAYS (but usually is) the two elements you're trying to join that are causing the error. You can verify this by jotting down the element IDs and then using the "Select Elements by ID" tool to select the elements in question.

This is an error that plagues most of us Reviteers *sigh*. Usually the error is anything from profile sketches to [wall/floor] assembly conflict, even materials that don't want t join for some reason. I just struggled with this quite a bit this morning actually as I had to resize some walls in a project. A majority of these errors turned out to be walls ABOVE the ones I was dealing with that didn't want to allow them to join properly. I've found that unjoining and tinkering with click order sometimes helps, and almost always a little "Disallow Join" and manual join action will do the visual trick.

Best of luck, and welcome to Revit.