PDA

View Full Version : Load plants for site plan...2011 - not of correct..

still.james
2010-05-04, 11:54 AM
aha sorry for post, i was editing the wrong section!

ignore

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-04, 12:43 PM
What steps are you following? This usually does not give any problems.
It should be Massing & Site > Site Components > (select and insert...)
Even if you do Home > Components > Place a component > Load family > Planting > (select and insert...) it works fine.

rkitect
2010-05-04, 06:54 PM
For future Reference, it may be best to leave your original question and post your solution for others to see.. even if it does mean a brief moment of humility :)

still.james
2010-05-04, 07:34 PM
:) this is true

the problem i got was in site componets i had a component loaded and i clicked edit > load family and it wouldnt let me load any plants or RPC content.

i had to use the Load Family command from the ribbon

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-04, 08:22 PM
Please describe the problem correctly. You cannot click on a component and then do "edit > load family" . That doesn't exist. You have "Edit family" available when you click on a component in a project file, and you have "Load Family" available when you are in a family file. So where were you and what were the steps again?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-05-04, 08:27 PM
The Element Properties dialog has a load button which allows to you load a family :beer:

rkitect
2010-05-04, 08:40 PM
Please describe the problem correctly. You cannot click on a component and then do "edit > load family" . That doesn't exist...

Au Contraire

http://content.screencast.com/users/rkitect/folders/Jing/media/e32a38de-4353-4b61-88bc-8b3d8bd6a550/2010-05-04_1537.png

I believe this is where he was (as eric.pointsout). Using this Load [Family] button allows you to load families only in the same category as the family in the types properties dialogue

The other "Load Family" button under the Insert Ribbon allows you to load any family category.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-04, 09:03 PM
Ah, Edit type > Load
That's different than "Edit > Load Family"

OK. However, I still don't see the problem. If I select a tree in my site plan and the go to Edit type > Load > go to Planting > select another family of the same type, it loads correctly. Make sure that the component you are selecting is of the same type as the one you are trying to load into.

Also, if you are interested in RPC content you don't need to load another family from the Planting folders. You can change the render appearance of any wireframe tree, to make it look different in the render, or you can duplicate the existing family, rename it, and make it look like a person, by changing the render apperance.

rkitect
2010-05-04, 09:11 PM
He was not loading a family of the same type. That is what was causing the problem as he mentioned.

While you can change the render appearance of any RPC from the Type Properties, I wouldn't recommend having a Person RPC in a Plantings Category family :)

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-05, 09:30 AM
While you can change the render appearance of any RPC from the Type Properties, I wouldn't recommend having a Person RPC in a Plantings Category family :)

Hmm... I never said that.

still.james
2010-05-05, 10:46 AM
ok following on from my initial post, this is getting annoying now.

im unsure what has changed since 2010 but i cant seem to load any new sheet annotation families......what is the procedure to do this?