PDA

View Full Version : Grid system like Acad

Wagurto
2010-05-04, 07:40 PM
Is there any feature in revit similar to the anchor grid system in autocad architecture? I just need a set of guide lines attached to the wall that give a variable number of vert. and horz. grid lines so I can place my lights and remain adjustable to my walls.
Thanks.

cliff collins
2010-05-04, 07:41 PM
Yes- in Revit 2011.

There is just such a grid that you can turn on in your sheets.

cheers

Wagurto
2010-05-04, 07:44 PM
Thanks Cliff for your prompt response but I was thinking of a grid system to work on my rooms. I need several of this systems on each room to place and hold my lights on place even if the room change size.

cliff collins
2010-05-04, 07:54 PM
Sorry-- thought you meant an "organizing grid" for lining up dwgs.,
which has been requested a lot and finally arrived in 2011.

For lights in a Room, why not just place a ceiling-- 2x4 or 2x2 grid, for example--
and when placing the sketch lines, lock to the walls so if the rooms change size,
the ceiling grid will stretch with it, and the lights will also move with the grid.

Just a suggestion, you could always use detail lines/groups--but this is really not
the best way to use BIM/Revit, in my opinion.

cheers

bregnier
2010-05-04, 08:00 PM
What I'd do is set up a dedicated view for light fixture control, then dimension the light fixtures, closing to the necessary walls on each side and using the "EQ" toggle to keep them spaced evenly. You can also use reference planes to help align fixtures or reduce the number of dimensions*. If you're trying to be really tricky you could even put those reference planes on a dedicated off-by-default workset that only shows up in your lighting control view. This is all a little more complicated than turning on an underlay grid but is about 1000x as flexible and powerful.

rkitect
2010-05-04, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm misreading your post but you need something that works in an actual view that assists with lining up lights according to the length/height of a wall? I don't think the sheet grids will help in this case.

You could try using the work plane grid, but this only allows you to set up the distance of grid spacing, you can not determine where the grid is aligned though. Unfortunately, the grid will just disappear if you switch views.

Give me a few minutes, I think I can whip up a quick family to help you if that does not work

rkitect
2010-05-04, 08:24 PM
Attach this to the wall you want to use as reference. You'll need to be in an elevation view to drag the edges into place, or you can just manually set the length and height parameters. You can control the number of grids in the instance parameters (as well as height and length). I have the family open, I can modify it as needed.

hTh

Edit: This of course is based on an equal spacing grid. The same can of course be accomplished by placing the lights, dimensioning appropriately then locking the dimensions as bregnier mentions. After a better understanding of what you are looking for I realize this family is NOT what you need, but am goign to leave it here in case others may need something similar.

Wagurto
2010-05-04, 09:32 PM
Carl thank you very much for your interest and support on this matter. I have some problems trying to figure it out the host element of you family but what it is most important is that the family is not easily editable. I was thinking of a kind of family that you can strech on plan view and keep the original number of bays for instances a 3 x 4 bay so I can place my lights on the intersections. The ability to constrain the edges to the wall will allow to change the room size and keep the 3 x 4 subdivision so I can relocate my lights easily.
thanks

Wagurto
2010-05-04, 09:37 PM
Bregnier I like your approach but I was thinking in something really fast to place on the room set up the number of bays and keep them constrain to the room. Doing what you said for every room would be very intense.
thanks

rkitect
2010-05-04, 09:39 PM
Wag, see if this tutorial video (http://screencast.com/t/Mjc0MmQ1Zj) helps any.

Wagurto
2010-05-04, 09:54 PM
Carl, what can I say! you are a genius. Full HD video tutorial, family creation, fast response and exactly what I needed. You are my hero.
thank you very much man.

rkitect
2010-05-04, 09:57 PM
You forgot "while also working on a project deadline in 3 other models." but you were pretty close. (:

Glad I could help!