PDA

View Full Version : Modelling a wall - What should that hole be?

barrie.sharp
2010-05-05, 11:12 AM
I'm converting external CAD drawings to Revit and I have placed walls along the plan. When I started adding the roof plan I noticed a gap at the gable. I added a piece of wall at the roof level to fill it in but then it struck me, 'should I be doing this?' I could cut a hole in a continuos wall but should I use profile, opening, component?

I find openings cause trouble with demolition but wondered what everyone elses approach would be and why?

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-05, 12:23 PM
The issue is not very clear; please correct me if I'm wrong. I understand that you want to fill the gap between the top of your wall and the roof. If that is the case, use any one of these two solutions:
1) Select the wall > Edit profile > (edit the wall's elevation boundary)
or
2) Select the wall > Attach (top) > select roof.

barrie.sharp
2010-05-05, 12:34 PM
As you can see from the attached image, I have attached the wall to the roof (highlighted in blue) which is a suitable solution. I understand the options available but the question is about best practice and whether the external wall should be one piece or three walls as I have shown it. There is very little right or wrong but there are pros and cons. I am curious about what approach others would have due to their experience downstream later in the project.

patricks
2010-05-05, 01:33 PM
If those are either existing or new conditions, you could do that with either separate walls or a wall opening. However if that's an existing wall with a new opening in it, do not use the Opening tool as openings cannot change phase from the host wall. I would probably do it with either separate walls so the lower piece could be demo'd (to create the opening) or use a wall-hosted opening family of the required size on the new phase to create the opening.

barrie.sharp
2010-05-05, 01:40 PM
If those are either existing or new conditions, you could do that with either separate walls or a wall opening. However if that's an existing wall with a new opening in it, do not use the Opening tool as openings cannot change phase from the host wall. I would probably do it with either separate walls so the lower piece could be demo'd (to create the opening) or use a wall-hosted opening family of the required size on the new phase to create the opening.
This is an existing condition but I see your point about openings. I guess that the opening tools are useless for phase work. I like the idea of using an opening family to create the existing opening so that it can be demo'd later. Are there any pitfalls to be aware of?

cliff collins
2010-05-05, 01:59 PM
You could also use a window family that has no extrusions or trim, just an opening cut--
open a window family, save-as and call it "window-opening only" or something like that.

Then just delete all the extrusions, trim, symbolic lines, etc.

Load into your project, then place in the existing walls, in the existing phase.

Now you have a "phase-aware" opening, which is really a window, that can also
be resized easily, scheduled, demolished, etc.

cheers