PDA

View Full Version : Visibility of linked Revit files

tim.101799
2010-05-05, 12:48 PM
I am working on my first Revit project where the entire design team (arch, struct, mep) are all using Revit and sharing models. The one really annoying thing is that every time I create a new section or elevation in my arch model I have to hide elements in the linked struct and MEP models. The ones that is really driving me crazy are the levels markers from the linked models. I have gotten around this to an extent by creating some custom view templates that have the level markers turned off for the linked files.

Is there a way to link these files so that level markers for instance, never display in any views in my arch model?

btrusty
2010-05-05, 01:16 PM
i have just created a default view template (for all view types) that all linked RVT files hide annotation categories (including grids, levels, etc), that way that when you create any new views, it is automatically hidden

i am not aware of a global setup for linked rvt files, unless they added something in 2011 (havent played around with it to the extent of older versions)

josh.made4worship
2010-05-05, 04:50 PM
yeah, the above works...I think you can also do it with filters too...usually what I suggest is to have each discipline label their levels such that you can tell whose is whose...i.e...you don't want a bunch of levels that say "level 1", so maybe you save (A) Level 1, (S) Level 1, (M) Level 1, etc. ("A" for Arch, etc.)

Then you can set up filters to only show the ones with "A" in the name or whatever you need. Just another thought to consider. I think this method of naming them slightly differently helps anyway, so if for some reason you are in a view with x2 "Level 1" , you can easily tell whose it is.

bregnier
2010-05-05, 05:20 PM
If the consultant has their levels on a dedicated workset you could just not load that workset into the model...

tim.101799
2010-05-05, 06:16 PM
If the consultant has their levels on a dedicated workset you could just not load that workset into the model...

I checked, and the consultants levels are on a dedicated workset. But I cannot figure out how to load / unload indiviual worksets of the MEP model.

josh.made4worship
2010-05-05, 06:18 PM
I checked, and the consultants levels are on a dedicated workset. But I cannot figure out how to load / unload indiviual worksets of the MEP model.

Hey, You should be able to turn them off in the visibility graphics overrides for a particular view (you might have to go into the link if you are doing it this way), otherwise, you should be able to choose what worksets to load when you open the model

bregnier
2010-05-05, 06:34 PM

When linking the file there's a little down arrow next to the "Open" button that should allow you to specify which worksets are loaded. This dialog also shows up when you use "Reload From" in manage links.

cliff collins
2010-05-05, 06:48 PM
In Revit 2011 you can now control worksets across links.

cheers....

saeborne
2010-05-05, 08:56 PM
yeah, the above works...I think you can also do it with filters too...usually what I suggest is to have each discipline label their levels such that you can tell whose is whose...i.e...you don't want a bunch of levels that say "level 1", so maybe you save (A) Level 1, (S) Level 1, (M) Level 1, etc. ("A" for Arch, etc.)

Then you can set up filters to only show the ones with "A" in the name or whatever you need. Just another thought to consider. I think this method of naming them slightly differently helps anyway, so if for some reason you are in a view with x2 "Level 1" , you can easily tell whose it is.

I thought you couldn't filter elements within a linked model? Am I mistaken?

Scott Womack
2010-05-06, 10:39 AM
I thought you couldn't filter elements within a linked model? Am I mistaken?

In 2011 you can.

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-06, 01:12 PM
You can in 2010 as well, it just requires the filter be in their model. But it DOESNT require it be in the exact right view, for you to set the Custom VG settings by By Linked View, of the view with the filter, to inherit the filtering characteristics. So if they have ONE section with levels filtered out, you can filter out their levels in all of your views... If you dont need BLV for something else.

Its an option, if youre still in 2010.

s.ault
2010-06-03, 08:04 PM
So I have a similar problem - I think. I want to put all annotation for the other discipline linked files on a new workset. But in 2010 it doesn't associate annotation with a workset. At least not that I'm aware of?? So it requires that I turn off all annotation for each linked in file individually and for every single view. Is this accurate? Is there a work around in 2010?

cliff collins
2010-06-03, 08:44 PM
Annotations are placed into the View Workset--which is a System Workset, so it can not be controlled the way you are describing.

Open the Worksets dialog box, then check all 4 boxes at the bottom and scroll down the long list, and you will see ALL the worksets in the project--including the System ones where the annotations reside in the view worksets in which they were placed.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-03, 08:52 PM
So I have a similar problem - I think. I want to put all annotation for the other discipline linked files on a new workset. But in 2010 it doesn't associate annotation with a workset. At least not that I'm aware of?? So it requires that I turn off all annotation for each linked in file individually and for every single view. Is this accurate? Is there a work around in 2010?

You cant assign it to a workset, but you can do it to every view at once, in Revit 2010. Go in to ONE view, and click in to every Linked file, and set it to Custom, and shut off the annotations.

Then right click on that view in the brower, and say Create View Template from view. Then, youll get a dialogue with a bunch of check boxes. This, is a list of what you CAN include in the VT. So UNCHECK everything EXCEPT the "VG: RVT:Link" box." And say okay.

Now you have a VT that does nothing except shut off the annotations in all the linked files. Select any views you want to do that to, in the browser silumtaneously, right click, apply VT.

(Note: Dont do this to any view you have already set customizations to for Linked Files, or it will overwrite those customizations of Linked Views.)