PDA

View Full Version : REVIT 2011 - Sample Projects come stock with Review Warnings.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2010-05-05, 04:20 PM
I find this amusing...

ron.sanpedro
2010-05-05, 04:33 PM
I find this amusing...

Inigo Montoya to Autodesk QA Executives. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Gordon

Baldwin_4-6-0
2010-05-05, 04:47 PM
What is funny to me is when I checked to see if there was any RW's, I knew that there would be... and I was right. "conceivable"

eric.piotrowicz
2010-05-06, 01:37 PM
I also thought it to be funny that when opening the stock 2011 project it had to take a minute to upgrade the file. How can they showcase 2011 features with a project that wasn't even done in the new version? Couldn't they have atleast taken a second to upgrade the file themselves before distributing it?:roll:

Scott Womack
2010-05-06, 03:37 PM
These were probably done with the Beta version. Even though it is 2011, anything created with the Betas still require an upgrade to the shipping version.

jspartz
2010-05-06, 03:48 PM
Within 15 seconds of opening the first sample I noticed a wall going through the stairs and other walls not attached to the floor above, and had to laugh.

Scott D Davis
2010-05-06, 06:53 PM
Within 15 seconds of opening the first sample I noticed a wall going through the stairs and other walls not attached to the floor above, and had to laugh.

We need to give you something to find using Interference Detection :shock:

ron.sanpedro
2010-05-06, 07:04 PM
I am pretty sure there is still annotation included that doesn't use the concatenated parameters feature introduced in 2009. And there are two or three different sub categories for the burners on different stoves in the OOTB content as well. Lots of issues like that with OOTB content, family templates, etc.
But at a bare minimum everything that ships should at least be upgraded to the new version and reviewed for warnings. Rather sad that even that rudimentary level of QA isn't attempted.

Gordon

Steve_Stafford
2010-05-07, 02:47 AM
It is amusing...but put yourself in a team as large as the Revit team is and see if your drawings have no mistakes.;)

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-05-07, 06:26 AM
I agree Steve but at the risk of 'piling on'...
I opened the sample "simple family" to show someone the new family editor interactive flexing of parameters and this family must have been upgraded from a previous version and the flexing didn't work :Oops: (similar to families created before the "edit family' button was introduced not having the ability to be edited from within the project)
This is a great new feature and might be less discoverable by a novice user should they use the sample file as an example.

thomas.163390
2010-05-07, 07:26 AM
Are the files used for tutorials? In that case it's not strange they put in some "traps".

samov
2010-05-08, 08:33 AM
If you take that "big teams make mistakes" for granted, no wonder 2011 is full of bugs.

I so miss 2009. It was the last time anything made sense.

It is amusing...but put yourself in a team as large as the Revit team is and see if your drawings have no mistakes.;)

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-08, 11:01 PM
If you take that "big teams make mistakes" for granted, no wonder 2011 is full of bugs.

I so miss 2009. It was the last time anything made sense.

Hey, im happy with a team that puts a model together with only 2 warnings.

And 2011 is my favorite release ever. :)

michael.12445
2010-05-10, 03:29 AM

Astonishing.

If I were to give an answer like this to my boss, I would find myself out on the street. If I were to give an answer like this to a client, I would end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

But it also begs the question - if the creators of the software are - for whatever reason - unable to use it to create drawings without glitches, what hope do we end users have? (Especially less experienced ones like myself!)

Alex Page
2010-05-10, 03:58 AM
Astonishing.

If I were to give an answer like this to my boss, I would find myself out on the street. If I were to give an answer like this to a client, I would end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit.

Absolutely

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-10, 04:06 AM
LOL at people getting "sued" over a Room in a Revit model not being enclosed, and a Curtain panel being malformed.

You know what, id much rather models come out of the Factory with one or two minor flukes in them, than to have development waste more time on it. Same for the content.

r.grandmaison
2010-05-10, 04:08 AM
Astonishing.
But it also begs the question - if the creators of the software are - for whatever reason - unable to use it to create drawings without glitches, what hope do we end users have? (Especially less experienced ones like myself!)

Who said they are unable to? Maybe they meant to do that.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2010-05-11, 12:54 PM
Who said they are unable to? Maybe they meant to do that.
Oh, I know. And I knew they'd know & I'd know you knew. But I only knew that you'd know that I knew. Did you know that? :)

michael.12445
2010-05-11, 04:59 PM
LOL at people getting "sued" over a Room in a Revit model not being enclosed, and a Curtain panel being malformed.

You know what, id much rather models come out of the Factory with one or two minor flukes in them, than to have development waste more time on it. Same for the content.

Uh, LOL until it happens to you, (and I hope it never does). Mistakes are inevitable, and it's not about any one particular flaw or set of flaws, it's how they are handled that makes all the difference. Once you create the impression that you are neglecting customers who have paid for a service because you are "too busy," they will begin - angrily - to look for any little bits of evidence to pin charges of incompetence and negligence on you.

I don't know what it's like in Texas, but in California the state licensing board regularly brings actions against architects whose clients have filed complaints that their architect has failed to deliver agreed-upon services, i.e., the architect is charged with abandoning the project. (Then they publish the particulars in a newsletter they issue to all licensees.)

That's what I meant by my comment about "ending up on the wrong end of a lawsuit." By suggesting where the "We're too busy to care about your concerns" attitude could lead, I meant to give some insight to the Revit team about why their users sometimes express so much frustration and disappointment when they feel they are not being heard.

Steve_Stafford
2010-05-11, 06:28 PM
...Astonishing. If I were to give an answer like this to my boss, I would find myself out on the street. If I were to give an answer like this to a client, I would end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit...

So I left of the smiley...get a sense of perspective. Send me a set of drawings...bet I can find errors in your work no matter how good you think it is or how carefully you reviewed them. A goodly number of building projects are limited to reasonably small groups of people. I'm not forgiving or justifying mistakes with my earlier comment...but let's be real.

Let he without errors cast the first stone...

The idea that Autodesk should be able to defy reality and deliver software that defines perfection strikes me a pure fantasy. Sorry, Alexander Pope wrote "To err is human, to forgive devine" because it is true.

rkitect
2010-05-11, 06:42 PM
Here is my submital for a perfect project..

No warnings, everything's documented as needed.

:)

Of course that's not a very impressive display of the program capabilities though.

tory.puglisi
2010-05-13, 07:15 AM
Astonishing.

Uh, LOL until it happens to you, (and I hope it never does). Mistakes are inevitable, and it's not about any one particular flaw or set of flaws, it's how they are handled that makes all the difference. Once you create the impression that you are neglecting customers who have paid for a service because you are "too busy," they will begin - angrily - to look for any little bits of evidence to pin charges of incompetence and negligence on you.

I don't know what it's like in Texas, but in California the state licensing board regularly brings actions against architects whose clients have filed complaints that their architect has failed to deliver agreed-upon services, i.e., the architect is charged with abandoning the project. (Then they publish the particulars in a newsletter they issue to all licensees.)

That's what I meant by my comment about "ending up on the wrong end of a lawsuit." By suggesting where the "We're too busy to care about your concerns" attitude could lead, I meant to give some insight to the Revit team about why their users sometimes express so much frustration and disappointment when they feel they are not being heard.

+1

Let he without errors cast the first stone...

There is a truckload of builders and contractors out there who take pleasure in doing just that, no matter how many philosophers you quote.

jspartz
2010-05-13, 04:53 PM
LOL, wow, you people are too serious. It's a sample project, not a real one. If you compare it to the real world, I've seen much worse models and drawings for real projects. You'd think it would have been QC'd but hey, you don't have to use the sample project. As long as the software is QC'd ;)

tropitech
2010-05-13, 05:32 PM
...and i always thought you were supposed to build your own model in this tutorial, being free to make as many mistakes as you want ;)