PDA

View Full Version : spanning label with crows feet

gleiper
2010-05-05, 05:36 PM
I am trying to label a span and have crow's feet at the end of the span. My label shows the span distance and bearing, but the crow's feet do not show up at the begining and end of the span, only at the begining and end of the parcel nearest to the label. Anybody know how to fix this?

civil3Dguide
2010-05-05, 11:49 PM
How were the parcels created?

david.zavislan
2010-05-06, 03:35 PM
To put crows feet on the ends of long spans, I use separate 'start' and 'end' crows foot label styles. I apply them to the first and last segments in the spans.

gleiper
2010-05-06, 06:42 PM
The parcels were created by "Create Parcels from Objects" command. I have the style set for a crow's foot at the start and end of span. Like I said before, the label gives the span distance, but the crow's feet show up at the begining and end of an intermediate parcel.

Little things like this in C3D drive me absolutley crazy. I've probably lost over an hour of productivity trying to get the crow's feet to behave how I want them to. I could have manually inserted crow's feet within a couple mintues and moved on but I know there has got to be a way to make them do what I want.

gleiper
2010-05-06, 06:44 PM
I see what you are saying David, but I am sooo tired of setting up individual styles for every little thing. Just seems waaaay too complicated for such a simple task.

civil3Dguide
2010-05-06, 10:55 PM
The labels will not work correctly if you create them by object, they will give you the correct labels but the crows feet will always fall on just one lot.
In production I never ever use create by object, except for one large boundary because of this and other problems with the create by object command.
If you create them some other way the label style should work as expected.

brian.hailey933139
2010-05-12, 03:18 AM
You've probably added your crows feet to the start and end of an arrow that is set to not display. If the arrow is directly on the line, then the arrow will end at the very beginning or end of the line segment. You need to offset the arrow in the label style by a "smidge" to the side that has the spanning text.

jpaulsen
2010-05-12, 02:53 PM
Good call Brian. That's why your my reseller :).

My spanned crowsfoot style was behaving as the OP described. I was using two block components anchored to the feature start and end points.

I added a direction arrow component, set it's visibility to false and gave it a small Y offset. I then attached the block components to the arrow. I had to rotate the blocks 180° and swap the anchor points for the blocks from start to end and visa versa.

brian.hailey933139
2010-05-24, 12:44 PM
I'm glad I was able to help out Jeff. That's one of those things that a lot of people just don't realize.Hmmm, sounds like a good topic for a blog post.

MLS at ASE
2010-05-26, 04:53 PM
You've probably added your crows feet to the start and end of an arrow that is set to not display. If the arrow is directly on the line, then the arrow will end at the very beginning or end of the line segment. You need to offset the arrow in the label style by a "smidge" to the side that has the spanning text.

Do you have a solution for curve ticks also? I'm unable to get them to span the entire curve length.

brian.hailey933139
2010-05-27, 12:54 AM
Don't know. I'll look into it when I start writing my blog post (been kind of busy lately) and I don't have C3D here at home at the moment.

jpaulsen
2010-05-27, 03:49 PM
I hope Brian can come up with a solution.

I was not able to get spanned crows feet to work on curves in C3D 2009. There is no arrow component in the curve label styles.

The spanned curve labels in general rarely work in 2009. We usually end up tracing the arc(s) and labeling the new arc.

brian.hailey933139
2010-06-01, 06:21 PM
Well, HERE (http://wp.me/pKldM-78) is the blog post. I didn't see any way to fix the crows feet for spanning labels with arcs, doesn't look like it's supported...