PDA

View Full Version : Why can't some category objects be joined?

narlee
2010-05-06, 11:39 AM
Specifically regarding in-place families...

This has been consistent thru the Revit releases. If you make a couple of General Model and other certain category objects, and then decide to join them, you can. Not so with Casework and other certain category objects.

It's true that Casework objects in the same family can be joined. And it's true that one can go back into a Casework family and change its category to General Model, which then allows it to be "externally" joined with other General Model category objects, for instance.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-06, 01:11 PM
I think it probably has to do with some specification about material. When you do a structural framing element, for example, in the Category and Paramenters dialog box, there are some settings to tell Revit what material this object is. I guess that might make a difference in whether the object joins with others or not.

jspartz
2010-05-06, 04:12 PM
No, narlee has it right. Certain object types will not join. Click the join tool and just hover over objects, any that don't highlight are objects that cannot be joined. For example, stairs that are monolithic having the same concrete material as a floor cannot join. The floor can be joined to other objects, but stairs cannot.

narlee
2010-05-06, 08:16 PM
No, narlee has it right.

Well...THAT'S a given :)

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-06, 09:34 PM
No, narlee has it right. Certain object types will not join. Click the join tool and just hover over objects, any that don't highlight are objects that cannot be joined. For example, stairs that are monolithic having the same concrete material as a floor cannot join. The floor can be joined to other objects, but stairs cannot.

Yes, but what is the reason why certain object types won't join?

aaronrumple
2010-05-06, 09:42 PM
Yes, but what is the reason why certain object types won't join?

Because the programmers said so. Really.

rkitect
2010-05-06, 09:56 PM
Or as the programmers said that one time at that one thing:

Huh, Revit does that?

jspartz
2010-05-06, 10:10 PM

Exactly, as with any programming, you ask for the selection to assign to a variable before running a function on it and while doing that you apply a selection filter, which can be all, exclude categories, or include only the specified categories. They have a selection filter on there, that IMO is more restrictive than it needs to be.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-06, 10:19 PM

Oh, I see, now I understand.

narlee
2010-05-07, 01:00 PM

Hmm. I live near Waltham. Perhaps I should bring a list, and take them all out for a beer.

jspartz
2010-05-07, 01:37 PM
Good idea. I've always had more success talking directly with developers than management.

There are different reasons why a selection filter is used. The first is easy - it shouldn't apply to that type of object (such as joining on dimensions). The second is that it would take a lot of extra programming for that specific type of object and the benefit does not outweigh the time. The third is that it would be too much for the program to handle or bog down your system so limits are placed typically on more complex objects.

In this case, it's the third reason that applies. It does not check to see how complex the object is first, but it figures casework objects and stair objects are typically more complex than a wall or floor.

That's the long explanation.

rpict
2010-05-07, 01:49 PM
Hmm. I live near Waltham. Perhaps I should bring a list, and take them all out for a beer.

DO THAT.
If you succeed, i'm sure you get greatest KUDOS from all AUGI users ;)