PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Letters onto a sphere

jwilhelm
2010-05-06, 03:37 PM
I have a spherical awning I would like to map some lettering onto
since decals seem to be limited to planer & cylindrical surfaces
can anyone recommend a way to accomplish this?

mthurnauer
2010-05-06, 04:05 PM
I had a project that had alum. extrusion letters mounted on pins on a curved canopy and I chose to model the 3d text in another program and then import it into a generic component family.

jspartz
2010-05-06, 04:22 PM
I would agree. Doing it in a different program would be easier. The only way I can think of within Revit is to use 3D text and you would have to do each letter separately on it's own slightly rotated reference plane. Or maybe you can map a material to it if you only want it when rendered.

scj.schulz
2010-05-06, 06:53 PM
It is possible in AutoCAD. You musĀ“t be able to run *.vlx files and the letters should be converted to a bunch of (2D-)LWPolylines.
The software is available from www.ant-ares.de
If you only have a look for an example, you can contact me.
Regards
jochen

cliff collins
2010-05-06, 07:42 PM
I wonder if this could be done with the new "adaptive components" in the Conceptual Massing Tools--
create individual pattern based families which contain the "letters"--simple extrusions
traced from a cad import of the font--then loaded into a curtain system, which would get nested into the Sphere curtain system?

Sounds like one for Zach Kron..................

cheers

jspartz
2010-05-06, 08:50 PM
It could probably be done with adaptive components, but I little easier than that (yet not time friendly at all) - You could make a 3D solid face based family of each letter and place each on a curved face. I've done it with domes prior to Revit supporting component systems.

jwilhelm
2010-05-06, 10:22 PM
Thought I would share my final solution with you,
Within the awning I created a series of extrusions, one for each letter located on the sphere, then made each "not visible", that way when I load it into the family
only the letter shows up, pretty simpe to do and all done within revit using 3d text

jwilhelm
2010-05-06, 10:27 PM
Here is my final image

r.grandmaison
2010-05-07, 02:06 AM
Here is my final image

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-07, 02:09 AM
I agree. Very nice, I like it!

gwnelson
2010-05-07, 12:03 PM
Well done!

cliff collins
2010-05-07, 12:42 PM
Nice example of modeling, and also rendering technique.

Is that Photoshop, or Piranesi?

cheers