PDA

View Full Version : Knee Brace

bob.86982
2010-05-06, 04:50 PM
I'm trying to make a simple 8x8 timber knee brace at a 45 degree angle. Initially I made one as an in-place generic model and then I copied and pasted it to other locations in the project. They are behaving very iradically, showing up in some views and not others and changing location after closing and re-entering the project.

So, I decided to try and make them a family that could be loaded into projects, the only problem is I can't get them to show shape handles to adjust their length in the project. Also it would be helpful if it would attach to the face of a wall or column.

What kind of family should it be made in and how do I create the shape handles?

cliff collins
2010-05-06, 04:55 PM
Here's a couple I've used in the past--not sure this is exactly what you need.

cheers

dzatto
2010-05-06, 05:01 PM
I used the new sloped beams, and cut them to some reference planes once I got them into position.

jspartz
2010-05-06, 05:14 PM
You need a face-based family. You can take any family and then import it into a new face-based family to have it attach to faces without having to remake the family. Then set the family category to what you want (casework, specialty equipment, etc.) Shape handles are not put in the family - they are a direct result of adding an instance parameter to a dimension. When loaded into a project, the shape handles show up.

If doing your knee brace family though, you have a constant 45 degrees? You would not use shape handles. Sounds like you should use a family type list with one parameter tied to both sides (8" x 8") can become (10" x 10") or (12" x 12"). I would make that a type parameter, not an instance parameter.

bob.86982
2010-05-06, 05:17 PM
Thank you both, in both of these solutions I have to make a new size for each condition, I was hoping to be able to just stretch it with shape handles for each condition.

jspartz
2010-05-06, 05:54 PM
You can make it have shape handles. If you want to keep a 45 degree angle, make the angle with a reference line with it's ends ending in intersections of reference planes. For the vertical and horizontal side of the triangle the knee brace is spanning, dimension them and make them both the same instance parameter. When you load that into a project it will have shape handles for you to stretch. Look at the attached family. It's just an example of how it works.

P.S. It's a 2011 file.

bob.86982
2010-05-06, 06:56 PM
Thank you, thats what I needed.

jspartz
2010-05-06, 07:07 PM
Here is one I put together that you can use if you want. It's a constant 45 degrees. The timber size, timber material, and height are adjustable as parameters. The depth is an instance parameter you can pull to any length. The ends are flat, which would connect to the wall and underside of a tabletop (cut by voids that follow). It's also a sweep, so the timber can take on a different shape than square if you switch the profile.

P.S. - This one is a 2010 file.

dzatto
2010-05-06, 07:45 PM
I'll be stealing that sir! Thank you very much.

Sure beats having loads of reference planes everywhere and cutting each member. :beer: