PDA

View Full Version : Shared Parameter Problems!

ParagonChris
2010-05-07, 02:02 PM
I have a joist family that had some shared parameters set up that were type parameters (want instance) and under a different group than what I want now. I changed the family to be the way I want it. When I open the family it is correct. When I load the family back into the project it does not update to the new family it still shows old parameters. It will not update if I load into new project as well.

rkitect
2010-05-07, 02:12 PM
Just curious, did you update the projects with the new shared parameters? You may even need to remove the old parameters that you loaded in to the project.

ParagonChris
2010-05-07, 02:19 PM
The shared parameters are the same except I changed them to instance instead of type parameters and changed the group name.

rkitect
2010-05-07, 02:25 PM
You still need to reload them into the project. Take a look at the parameter in the project and tell me if it says Type or Instance. My money is on Type.

The way the Shared parameters work is they have a UID that tells Revit "Hey model, this family parameter and this project parameter have the same UID, this means they are the same thing and need to talk to each other"

The UID is created when you make any changes to the shared paramter, so anytime you update a parameter, you need to reload the parameter into the project.

hTh

ParagonChris
2010-05-07, 02:59 PM
I don't understand. I didn't change the group the shared parameters are in the shared parameter file. I changed the group heading in the family using the shared parameter. I also changed the parameters in the family from type to instance but they don't update in projects.

rkitect
2010-05-07, 03:06 PM
For clarifications sake: Are you using a Shared Parameter file for these parameters? That's what I assumed you meant from the title of the thread and from your OP.

If you use the Shared Parameter option in the family (see attached image) then you also need to load those parameters into your project. You will also need to RELOAD these parameters into your project anytime you change the parameter properties in the shared parameter file.

If you used the Family Parameter option, I need to look at your attached project and see what is going on.

rkitect
2010-05-07, 03:09 PM
I'm assuming one of the parameters you are referring to is the "Callout" parameter. Which other ones are you having issues with?

FYI: When I changed the parameter Callout from type to instance and reloaded into the project, it updated. Are you having an issue with the value of the parametrs not updating?

ParagonChris
2010-05-07, 06:09 PM
Thanks for helping me. I am using a shared parameter file. I use those shared parameters to add to my joist family. They were type not instance and under different group parameter. My family is fine when I open it. When I load it into any project that has old one it doesn't update per the family. If I start a new project and delete the one from the project and load in the new one still doesn't work. I am attaching the family file.

rkitect
2010-05-07, 06:12 PM
I looked at the family and the project you uploaded, but could not get the same problem. When I change the Callout parameter from Type to Instance, and load it back into the project, it comes into the project as an instance parameter.

ParagonChris
2010-05-07, 06:39 PM
The callout parameter doesn't exist in the family I uploaded. I also changed some other parameters in the family. The callout parameter exists in the project file. I want to load the family in and overwrite includings parameters to match family file. i cannot get the updated version of the family into the project.

rkitect
2010-05-07, 06:43 PM
Even with the new family, I loaded it into the same project, selected "Overwrite the existing version and its parameter values" and it has updated the family. Values parameters and all.

Are you selecting the "Overwrite existing version and its parameter values" option when you load in to the project?

ParagonChris
2010-05-07, 06:46 PM
Yes, that's why I cannot figure this out. It will not update on other users machine's or seperate projects as well. Stumped.

rkitect
2010-05-07, 07:45 PM
I've attached a project that contains the family with the overwritten parameters (I believe).

ParagonChris
2010-05-10, 01:44 PM
The parameters have changed to instance in the project but they are still not in right grouping/category from family file.