PDA

View Full Version : Revit - 2010 MySQL and Revit DBLink

jchristel
2010-05-10, 04:21 AM
Hi All,

I am desperately trying to gt Revit DBlink to connect to a Mysql Database.
System is win XP 32 bit and Revit 2010.

I can export to the same database Server with the built in ODBC export in the file menu no problems, but Revit DBLink refuses.
My Steps are:

Under External Tools select Revit DB Link
ODBC Tab
Highlight "Select a new connection"
press export button
in next window select machine Data Source tab
Select Mysql Source
press OK

in the new Mysql window set
server to localhost
enter username
select database
press TEST (get message "Connection Succesful")
Press OK
Revit does something for 5 seconds and then back to normal (no progressbar what so ever)

There are no error messages...and when I check the mysql database there are no entries...

Has anybody any ideas why this is not doing what it is suppode to do?

Thanks

PS I also noted that when I export to access revit appears to export more information:
i.e. the door table has additional columns which display information from the door key schedule. The MySQL export on the other hand is missing those columns...however ther is a table called door key schedule but without any apparent link (ID)?)to the door schedule.

Jan

m20roxxers
2010-06-20, 10:42 PM
I believe the information being cut back is due to using the DBlink tool, rather then a standard ODBC export.

I'm sure exactly why this is, but it may be due to the face that since u can link and load information back into Revit it removes read read only or other options that may not be able to interact with the data link.

If your having issues try reading this walkthrough.

http://revit4you.blogspot.com/2009/12/outils-q3-rdblink.html

It's in french but it translates to english quite well and there are a couple of links to other blogs. Should be all you need to get started.

eschappe
2010-06-24, 03:25 PM
I am having some issues with my ODBC export as well but I may be able to help jchristel. I am also exporting door information and I have created quite a few Shared Parameters, what I have found is that all the shared parameters that I created with spaces in their names did not go through when I exported through ODBC. I would check and see if that is your issue first. As for the SQL server I'm probably not of much help, I am going through MS Access using office 2010.

jchristel
2010-06-24, 10:56 PM
eschappe> thanks for the hint: I better check that! Have you tried RDBlink?

In regards to the webinar cast from Autodesk: Unfortunately I couldnt make it at that point in time...are these somewhere else available in some kind of library maybe?

Kins Regards

J

jseck
2010-09-27, 04:42 PM
I'm having problems creating a new Data Source to my MySQL database

1. Select Data Source I click New...
2. Select SQL Server, click Next.
3. Type in name of the new data source (in this case "RevitDBLink) and click Next.
4. Click Finish
5. For the server, I enter the domain name where the MySQL database resides and click Next.
6. I choose the option to check the authenticity of the login ID with an SQL Server login ID and password.
7. I type in the Login ID and password I established when I set up the MySQL database and click Next.
8. I get the following error.

Anyone else have issues trying to connect to MySQL? I've posted a thread on my web hosts forum as well.

jseck
2010-09-27, 04:57 PM
Hi All,

I am desperately trying to gt Revit DBlink to connect to a Mysql Database.
System is win XP 32 bit and Revit 2010.

I can export to the same database Server with the built in ODBC export in the file menu no problems, but Revit DBLink refuses.
My Steps are:

Under External Tools select Revit DB Link
ODBC Tab
Highlight "Select a new connection"
press export button
in next window select machine Data Source tab
Select Mysql Source
press OK

in the new Mysql window set
server to localhost
enter username
select database
press TEST (get message "Connection Succesful")
Press OK
Revit does something for 5 seconds and then back to normal (no progressbar what so ever)

There are no error messages...and when I check the mysql database there are no entries...

Has anybody any ideas why this is not doing what it is suppode to do?

Thanks

Jan

Jan, did you get this figured out? I now have a connection, but nothing is exporting to my MySQL database.

joachimlueck
2010-10-25, 05:47 PM
This is my first post here - so: hello to everybody.

Since i made many attempts to connect to mysql, let me tell you my expirience:
it doesn't work ... at least not yet. The error i found:
When creating the initial database-scheme, Revit tries to create at least one fieldname which is longer than 64 characters.
This makes mysql refuse the connection (See: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=21432)
I checked this out in maybe february with version 5xxx.
-JL-

cliff collins
2010-10-25, 05:56 PM
Try connecting with SQL Express instead of MySQL.

cheers

jchristel
2010-10-25, 10:13 PM
Revit Garage: this little project of mine ended up on the backburner...havent done anyhting to it for a while.

I am currently considering Microsoft SQL express edition as an alternative as per Cliff's comments)But again havent tried it yet.

will post again when I had a chance to look at it.

Jan