PDA

View Full Version : Discontinuous wall layer - Unwanted Plaster

barrie.sharp
2010-05-10, 08:52 AM
I often have situations where core layers are continuos but plaster will only be required for so much of the run and the same goes for external render. This can be the case behind boxing where I don't want to show plaster. So far I have been creating wall types for each situation but this has two drawbacks.

Wall type list gets big/busy!
Wall join/cleanup can go crazy.Are there workarounds for any of this? It would be handy to unlock layers like you can on vertical layers. Could the plaster be cut away? What is best practice?

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-10, 10:28 AM
We split the walls and use a different wall type, as you mentioned.

vennix.239720
2010-05-10, 10:29 AM
aply the plaster layer as a seperate wall element and join it with the underlying wall. But I doubt if this will make a lighter task.
I use this technique for bathroom tiles etc. but I have never tried it on an exterior stucco layer

Geert

Scott Womack
2010-05-10, 10:31 AM
All of these suggenstions are, IMHO workable.
1) I'd actually split the wall and make two different wall typws, one without the additional plaster. Reason: - It gives a more accurate material take-off.

2) Create a wall reveal, applied vertically, set to cut the plaster, for the width needed

3) Use the Cut profile tool to make the plaster "disappear" These cut profile lines can be copied to clipboard, and pasted into a detail or blow-up of this area.

Good Luck!

barrie.sharp
2010-05-10, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the responses, good to know!

Scott. Thanks for points 2&3, they're approaches I didn't think about.