PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials and Land Planning

rodneyf
2003-09-25, 11:56 AM
Well I did it. I succeeded in convincing upper management to convert our office to Revit and purchased 24 seats (the wait is killing me). My question is this: Did any of you create your own office tutorial or did you just use the ones that came with Revit? Also we have a land planning & landscape division and was wondering if we could use Revit for that part of our office as well? Any insight into this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve_Stafford
2003-09-25, 01:14 PM
Congratulations Rodney!! Any job openings :lol:

You might want to look closely at the stuff Cyril Verley just posted yesterday for training help?

Civil design folks might not be satisfied with Revit as a true design tool, depends on the "level" of their design techniques now, 3D intelligent drawings or 2D documentation. In fact it has been stated in the past by Revit folks that it isn't intended for serious civil design, rather a tool for architects to include site conditions in the model in a realistic fashion. I've been unable to really model really choppy sites and swales that cut back deeply into a terrain model. Perhaps it's my own inadequacy?

Best of luck with the "roll out" and borrow a good steamroller to flatten out the bumps! :D

rodneyf
2003-09-25, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Steve! After we roll this out there might be a couple of openings because there are some people here that just don't change. I did look at the stuff Cyril Verley posted and it looks very good and I might be ordering it here later today. Our land planning divison has been bugging me to look into Land Desktop for them but was hoping I would not have to learn a whole new system at the same time I roll out Revit.

Thanks,

gregcashen
2003-09-25, 03:34 PM
My view is that Revit is not yet mature enough to handle Civil and Land Planning issues. It is simply too cumbersome in this area to be an efficient tool. I would recommend going with LDT or EaglePoint, which sits on top of AutoCAD. You can import the survey data and the contours from either and it will create your site pretty well. You may have to do a bit of tweaking to get some of the contours to straighten out, but it works okay for me.

rodneyf
2003-09-25, 04:22 PM
Greg,
I think that is what I am going to do. I will look into LDT for them and see how we can all talk and play nicely with each other.

Thanks,