PDA

View Full Version : Laminated Glass detail lines for curtain panel?

gsucci
2010-05-11, 04:12 PM
Hi all,
I spent lot of time trying to show the 1/8" parallel detail lines, when cutting and detailing a curtain panel (laminated glass). Because the glass pane should be variable in thinkness (and offset), I thought I would specify a parallel lines fill pattern for the glass material.
The problem is that in a vertical section, the pattern stays horizontal. I tried all the "Align to element / view / readable" options in the pattern editor, but cannot get what I need.

I tried embedding a filled region in the panel family, but same problem, the fill pattern does not rotate with the detail family, it stays horizontal, in section.
Also, it is not possible to assign a model pattern to the "cut pattern" apparence of the material, but only drafting pattern.

So far, I have to draft symbolic lines in the panel family, in plan and elevation, 1/8" apart, and with visibility parameters attached strategically, by type: 1" glass shows only the first 3 1/8" detail lines, 2" shows 4 additional detail lines, etc. A real pain.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thank you

regards

gio

josh.made4worship
2010-05-11, 05:56 PM
could you post a screen shot example of what you are actually trying to achieve as the final result? I'm not entirely sure I understand, as well as why it would be necessary to do what you are doing...

rkitect
2010-05-11, 06:10 PM
Can you just rotate the Fill Pattern 90ยบ from what it was?

rkitect
2010-05-11, 06:24 PM
Tested it.

http://content.screencast.com/users/rkitect/folders/Jing/media/ff77305c-2a2a-4be2-9eb0-6e7f57c0de95/2010-05-11_1320.png

My question is are you making a different scale fill pattern for each scale view you are cutting the glass at?

This was done with a 1/8" separated drafting pattern rotated at 90deg oriented to view. Rotating the pattern 0deg caused it to be hori.

gsucci
2010-05-11, 09:58 PM
Tested it.

http://content.screencast.com/users/rkitect/folders/Jing/media/ff77305c-2a2a-4be2-9eb0-6e7f57c0de95/2010-05-11_1320.png

My question is are you making a different scale fill pattern for each scale view you are cutting the glass at?

This was done with a 1/8" separated drafting pattern rotated at 90deg oriented to view. Rotating the pattern 0deg caused it to be hori.

Carl,
that is what I am trying to do. That works for either plan or section, not for both, since the pattern does not rotate. Are you showing a vertical section detail or plan? Try to have both look as you are showing in your post, then you let me know how you did it.

Thank you

regards

rkitect
2010-05-11, 10:17 PM
http://content.screencast.com/users/rkitect/folders/Jing/media/01dcb58d-7021-422c-ae88-1ede5c155559/2010-05-11_1714.png

both plan and section are at 12"=1' scale in order for the drafting scale to work. I'm not sure what you're hoping for there. I've attached my project so you can see the fill pattern.

edit: sorry for the image sizes. I'll keep an eye on that in the future.

gsucci
2010-05-12, 05:55 PM
Carl, your file must be version 2011, because I cannot open it in 2010.
In any case, the way you drafted your curtain wall, this works, because your wall runs South-North, so the fill pattern on the panel in plan has the same alignment as your section.
Try creating your curtain wall running East-West, in plan, and you will see the pattern will not rotate. (Revit 2010).

thank you for your efforts.

regards

gio

rkitect
2010-05-12, 06:12 PM
I'm workingo n a glass panel for you to use. I think you'll like it.

rkitect
2010-05-12, 07:45 PM
OK, so in 2010 this is probably going to be more work than you are willing to do (in 2011 it works BEAUTIFULLY! See link below). See the attached file and watch the linked video.

How-To Use this Panel... goodluck (http://screencast.com/t/NzQyMDViMDgt)

Basically, you'll place the curtain wall using the panels that are in this family. Once the panels are placed, you will need to create a different panel type for each width/height panel there is. So if you have 5'x8' panels and 2'x6' panels, you will need to make 2 types of the panel and replace them with what is already there. Pain, yes. Less pain than doing filled regions for everyone of them, yes.

hTh, let me know if you need any of this tweaked.

rkitect
2010-05-12, 07:55 PM
On the other hand, if you are using 2011 you can use the panel family in this project which uses Listening Parameters to automagically adjust the detail lines to the height and width of the panel!

gsucci
2010-05-12, 09:07 PM
Carl, thank you for your efforts.
So, are you saying that even in 2011 there are no options to rotate fill patterns in order to achieve this?

The way I had to solve this (2010) was by drafting a bunch of symbolic lines, 1/8" apart, in the plan and right elevation of the panel family. Once alligned / locked, they follow the dimensions of the panel. For the different thicknesses, well, I basically turned off lines for thinner panels, usign visibility parameters.

Thank you again

regards

gio

rkitect
2010-05-12, 09:24 PM
Correct, the Drafting Pattern orientation options do not provide a solution in 2011 either.