PDA

View Full Version : Split Face keeps moving

harrisbrett
2010-05-11, 05:41 PM
I''m doing a condo project and within my units bathrooms I've split the floor face and painted tile in it for presentation purposes. Everytime I edit the floor slab - for example adding a stair hole the split face shifts out of its correct position or changes shape. Quite annoying.

Yes I realize that actual thin floors are the way to go for this, but nonetheless why is this happening, anyone else have this problem?

cdatechguy
2010-05-11, 05:55 PM
This is why we don't use Split face....you move anything within the border of your split face it goes out of whack...

Mentioning Split Face to some folks in my office will usually have another F word added to it...

rkitect
2010-05-11, 05:56 PM
My only guess is that the split region sketch line is constrained to a floor sketch line that is moving anytime you put a hole in the floor. If you go in to the view graphics for the view you are working in, under the Annotation Categories tab and dimensions, you'll find an unchecked box called "Automatic Sketch Dimensions." Turn that on and you will see all the "constraints" that revit has placed on that split region sketch line.

hTh

josh.made4worship
2010-05-11, 06:37 PM
If you go in to the view graphics for the view you are working in, under the Annotation Categories tab and dimensions, you'll find an unchecked box called "Automatic Sketch Dimensions." Turn that on and you will see all the "constraints" that revit has placed on that split region sketch line.

hmm...good tip about the Automatic Sketch dimensions...didn't know it was that easy to show the contraints...I think that the split face issue is a bug though, because I don't think it only happens when stuff sketch lines are constrained.

On top of that, it probably shouldn't happen, even if it is constrained, but anywho, just another little issue for us all to remember how to deal with.

rkitect
2010-05-11, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying that seeing these constraints will fix the issue. Then again the OP wasn't about how to fix it, it was why it is happening.

Another issue you'll fin with split regions is that it will delete the regions if you start making too many changes with wall types and location. It's best to save the regions for last. Or create a slab and place "finishing" floor assemblies on top of it.

cliff collins
2010-05-12, 02:25 PM
"Or create a slab and place "finishing" floor assemblies on top of it"

That's a really good way to do it, as OP noted, but did not want to place individual
floors, and wants instead to split face, but needs a way to keep it from "breaking".

I think the Factory needs to address this, as the split face tool would be really nice
and fast to use, if it did not "break" so often.

cheers