PDA

View Full Version : Any Chain Link Fence in 2011?

nsinha73
2010-05-14, 04:08 PM
Hi Guys,
Any improvements in Chain Link Fence in Site Plans in 2011? Or at least nesting annotation symbols in Railings?

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-14, 04:39 PM
Use a Curtain Wall. It makes much more sense, and lets you do all of those things. A baluster for the metal posts, and a curtain panel with a chain link material for the chain link. Then you can use curtain wall doors for gates too.

nsinha73
2010-05-14, 05:13 PM
Use a Curtain Wall. It makes much more sense, and lets you do all of those things. A baluster for the metal posts, and a curtain panel with a chain link material for the chain link. Then you can use curtain wall doors for gates too.

Interesting!...I never thought of that....been struggling with railing...Honestly, Railings the only thing that is not fun in Revit.
I will give a try to Curtain Walls .....
Has anyone built a nice Chain Link fence on that yet?....care to share?

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-14, 05:21 PM
I dont have one here on this machine, but it takes about three minutes to build, lol... A cylindrical Baluster, repeating over 5 feet, with a cap on it. And edit the standard Glass panel, to make a new one that has a different materials, with a surface pattern of diagonal crosshatch, shaded transparancy, and a rendering material of Chain Link metal. Theres virtually zero value in MODELING the chain links.

nsinha73
2010-05-14, 05:40 PM
I dont have one here on this machine, but it takes about three minutes to build, lol...
True!! :D
Just built mine.....Great flexibility too....never though curtain wall can be used!!

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-14, 05:42 PM
Then take your standard Storefront Curtain wall double door, save as, remove handles, add gate latch, change material... And done. A gate.

nsinha73
2010-05-14, 11:38 PM
Then take your standard Storefront Curtain wall double door, save as, remove handles, add gate latch, change material... And done. A gate.

:D don't know about you but our architects here are pretty picky......a gate has to look correct, in site plans as well as enlarged site plans....down to the line weights styles and the "x" spacing and so on.......

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-15, 01:39 AM
I am one of our architectural staff, and yes we are picky. Theres no reason it cant look perfect in plan and site plan. Nested annotation in the baluster and panel, and the Gate can look fine too. Its no different than making a door look correct. :)

Revitaoist
2010-08-19, 07:03 PM
Simple solution: 1/2" thick wall with material set to chain link.

wmullett
2010-08-19, 07:18 PM
I like the 1/2" thick wall and that is what I use. Then I cut a section parallel and close to the wall so that I can edit the wall profile to match my grades. I have a simple post family that I place at intervals and the top and bottom rails are a sweep using the plane of the fence and defining the path along the edited profiule of the wall.

But if you have a flat site... the CW will work.

cr_gixxer
2010-08-31, 10:10 PM
I dont have one here on this machine, but it takes about three minutes to build, lol... A cylindrical Baluster, repeating over 5 feet, with a cap on it. And edit the standard Glass panel, to make a new one that has a different materials, with a surface pattern of diagonal crosshatch, shaded transparancy, and a rendering material of Chain Link metal. Theres virtually zero value in MODELING the chain links.

I'm having trouble editing the glass panel. can you elaborate

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-01, 01:12 PM
I'm having trouble editing the glass panel. can you elaborate

Select standard panel, hit Edit Type (NOT Edit Family) in the properties, and change the Material to something transparent, with a crosshatch, that renders with the Chain Link image. Done. :)