PDA

View Full Version : Stair Category

david_peterson
2010-05-14, 06:34 PM
So we are trying to create a highly custom stair (the kind Revit can't do via the tool).
So we started a new "model in place" model, modeled all the parts and pieces. Now we have what we want and it looks good.
Here's the problem. I can't put it into a stair category. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do now. Apparently you can't put things onto a stair category unless create them with the stair tool Seems kind of dumb if you ask me. Give me a category, but I can't put anything on it. Unless I'm just missing something.
Any Advice?
Thanks in advance.

Munkholm
2010-05-14, 08:02 PM
Dave, you are not missing something... Revit might be missing something though... :screwy: in other words, you can´t categorize an in-place family as a stair...
I´d just use another category... maybe "speciality equipment" ? :beer:

rkitect
2010-05-14, 08:11 PM
Do in place "Specialty Equipment" families cut in section? They don't for user created families. Just a thought.

Wishlist item maybe? Ability to make in-place components ANY category?

tropitech
2010-05-15, 02:06 PM
I usually model my stairs over the top of what the revit stair tool produces (inc. railings, i'm picky!). Depending on need, using the "floor" category mostly does the trick. It'll cut in section too.

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-05-15, 10:21 PM
You can keep it as a generic model but I would suggest creating a new sub-category to allow more flexibility in display controll.

patricks
2010-05-17, 01:38 PM
I would also do it as a generic model with subcategories for stairs, railings, etc. for whatever else you might need.

I would do the basic layout with the stair tool to make it easy to get all the riser heights and treads in the right place.

david_peterson
2010-05-17, 01:45 PM
Well I guess my question has no answer other than you can't.
Seems odd and Adesk should fix it.

luke.s.johnson
2012-03-26, 12:48 AM
Well I guess my question has no answer other than you can't.
Seems odd and Adesk should fix it.

You can now:
http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/in-place-and-component-families-of.html