madmax5201797
2003-09-25, 06:36 PM
Has anybody bought this training CD?
If so, can I get a review.

thx,
Mark

studio3p
2003-09-25, 08:27 PM
I purchased the CD about 9 or 10 months ago and I found it pretty useful at introducing the major features of the sofware. Between the program tutorials and the CD I think I was provided a decent introduction. I think that either the tutorials or the traing CD on their own would not do nearly the job that they provide together.

That being said, there are several examples of a general attention to detail seems to be lacking. One example, when transitioning from the building massing to walls there were several intersections that did not clean up properly. I paused the video at this point and attempted to clean up the intersections as I followed along in my own file, but had to delete the offending walls and recreate them. If this is a regular occurance within the software (and it seemed to be since it happened both on the video and in my follow along file), then it would have been nice for Scott to identify it as such and suggest how best to deal with it. There seemed to be several of these issues as Scott works through the building model and I wish he would have acknowledged them rather than skipping on. In my opinion this is one reason I refer to it as an introduction CD rather than a training CD.

Another quality control issue is the audio quality. There is considerable popping and hissing (I'm assuming he recorded the sound with a desktop microphone), and there is a lag between the video and audio. Most of the time the lag isn't important, but there are a few times when I found it rather distracting.

In general, I think the CD is well worth the money. It is important to remember though that it is only an introduction and not really a training CD.