PDA

View Full Version : Need Cut Profile help

cadmaster77
2010-05-15, 07:12 PM
i am attempting to trim the drywall out of an elevator shaft (tutorial dwg) on the finish side of an exterior wall.. i cant figure out the cut profile command.. please assist me in walking thru the command..

i have attempted with both FACES and BOUNDARY BETWEEN FACES.. see attached image for example.. highlighted are is the drywall that needs to be removed

revit 2011

thanks

r.grandmaison
2010-05-15, 10:17 PM
What you will likely want to do is to create an in-place component- extrusion/VOID Form and CUT the gypsum board with it. When you sketch the "void" footprint for the extrusion, you can use the align tool to lock the fooprint to the face of the core/backside of gypsum board...and the properites will allow you to choose how high you want it to go. (..or switch to an appropriate elevational view and pull)

You use the CUT Geometry tool in conjunction with the void form once made...to subtract the common volume (in this case your gypsum board) from the wall.

(As an aside, you can make the VOID object as large as the elevator shaft is wide- and use the CUT GEOMETRY tool to cut many wall finishes away with the one VOID Form.)

Matt Stachoni
2010-05-16, 03:02 AM
(As I recall, this is from Eric Wing's Revit 2010 No Experience Required)

The directions are fairly well spelled out, but the command has changed location from 2010. Disallow the join and pull the CMU wall back to the face of the stud. Go to the View tab > Graphics panel > Cut Profile, and select the gyp bd face layer of the wall. Draw a single short line to represent the new termination line of the gyp bd (in line with the face of the CMU). A little arrow will appear which points to the side of the layer you wish to keep. Pick it so it points to the right, and hit the Finish button. Your GWB should terminate cleanly against the face of the CMU.

cadmaster77
2010-05-16, 02:24 PM
that worked., appreciate the help

r.grandmaison
2010-05-16, 03:54 PM
(As I recall, this is from Eric Wing's Revit 2010 No Experience Required)

The directions are fairly well spelled out, but the command has changed location from 2010. Disallow the join and pull the CMU wall back to the face of the stud. Go to the View tab > Graphics panel > Cut Profile, and select the gyp bd face layer of the wall. Draw a single short line to represent the new termination line of the gyp bd (in line with the face of the CMU). A little arrow will appear which points to the side of the layer you wish to keep. Pick it so it points to the right, and hit the Finish button. Your GWB should terminate cleanly against the face of the CMU.

Matt,

I tried it and I find myself fighting with it...is it possible to create a "gap" in the gyp board finish when you have two CMU walls that "TEE" into it? When I attempt to do this, the CMU walls will NOT adjust to the face of the studs- they keep reverting back to the face of the sheetrock and the wall heals itself...no matter what I have my wall join set to for the TEE wall joins.

Some features are new to me though you all have been using them forever I suspect! 'Splain that one to me a bit more please? Reminds me of "split faces" but only for profiles of items seen in cut views.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-16, 11:16 PM
The View > Cut Profile tool is a quick 2D solution, that doesn't affect the model. It's useful for details. The Modify > Cut Geometry tool takes more steps but does affect the model.
Please see illustration for a comparison between these 2 tools.

Matt Stachoni
2010-05-16, 11:31 PM
Matt,

I tried it and I find myself fighting with it...is it possible to create a "gap" in the gyp board finish when you have two CMU walls that "TEE" into it? When I attempt to do this, the CMU walls will NOT adjust to the face of the studs- they keep reverting back to the face of the sheetrock and the wall heals itself...no matter what I have my wall join set to for the TEE wall joins.

Some features are new to me though you all have been using them forever I suspect! 'Splain that one to me a bit more please? Reminds me of "split faces" but only for profiles of items seen in cut views.

Bob,

I agree - Cut Profile in plan to modify wall layer conditions is one tricky command. Yes, you can do this. I believe the trick is to disallow the join on ONE of the CMU walls, but not both. When I disallowed the join on both, I got the GWB in between.

Let's see if my image attach skillz are mad enough:

---
Matt

r.grandmaison
2010-05-17, 12:36 AM
Hmmm...I guess it escapes me. I can't get it to work. I can cut the sheetrock away IF I pull the walls ends away from the wall. And, using the Don't Join option for hte wall joins doesn't seem to have any effect for me. I must be doing something wrong! I CAN get the sheetrock to appear propertly (or not appear) by using a wall void- but I can't, for the life of me, get it to work with the Cut Profile tool.

To disallow wall join, you're selecting the wall join tool on the Modify>Geometry panel, right? And then selecting the "Don't Join" on the option bar? When I do that, the wall jumps away from the core and aligns to the surface of the sheet rock...and if I try to align or drag it to the core, the gyp board between the cmu walls returns....

It's probably better to use the Void Form cut anyway- then the model's right and not relying on some trickery of a detail or plan view to make the appearance correct...right?

This Revit- it's a puzzler...

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-17, 01:18 AM
To disallow wall join, you're selecting the wall join tool on the Modify>Geometry panel, right? And then selecting the "Don't Join" on the option bar? ...

I think the "disallow join" option that Matt is mentioning is the one that appears only when you do this: select the wall > right click on the little blue dot at the end of the wall > Disallow join.

r.grandmaison
2010-05-17, 02:09 AM
I think the "disallow join" option that Matt is mentioning is the one that appears only when you do this: select the wall > right click on the little blue dot at the end of the wall > Disallow join.

ah...I didn't know about that! Thanks! It's not the same as "don't join" from the wall join tool.

I did it, and it worked, kind of. I'm not getting the proper heavier line profile around the cut objects when I use the Cut Profile tool. I see in the above examples, TL is used. I'm attaching a screen cap showing the two situations as I'm getting them- the one on top shows the Cut Profile optionl- and you'll see the line weight isn't respected by the cut profile. The one below it is done with a Model-in-Place Wall Void form and the profile cut line is perfect.

So, how do you remedy the linework issues in the first one? Linework tool? Or is that justification for using the Void Form instead???

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-17, 01:07 PM
Well, that would be another reason for doing this issue with Cut Geometry instead of Cut Profile. Plus, the sections will look correct, too.

nancy.mcclure
2010-05-17, 06:06 PM
Also, disallowing joins and using cut profiles often impacts how those wall joints appear in other views - particularly at coarse detail. A forced graphic resolution in one view that can negatively impact many others.