PDA

View Full Version : I Wish Trusses were More Trusslike...

r.grandmaison
2010-05-15, 11:35 PM
I would hope that when making trusses Revit would know how to properly cut the ends of the webs and chords so they look right. By default webs stop way shy of the chords and often overlap in volume. I know how to remedy it to get a PERFECT looking truss where the vertical webs extend to the bottom surface on the top chord and to the top surface on the bottom chord, bit it's a lot of work that should really happen somewhat automatically. An OOTB truss looks amatuerish...

I'd like to see those surfaces coped automatically on trusses...as determined by a user set "priority"...so, for instance, top and bottom chord members would have a priority of 1, vertical web members a number of 2, and diagonal web members a priority of 3.

So, the truss automatically trims the ends of objects based on the priorities. So the vertical members are cut by the top/bottom chords...and the diagonal web members are cut by the vertical web members...and PRESTO, instant pretty truss without having to cope the truss members manually.

martijnderiet
2010-05-16, 08:02 AM
Hear, hear!
But then, this post applies to all structural members...

r.grandmaison
2010-05-16, 01:39 PM
Hear, hear!
But then, this post applies to all structural members...

You are absolutely right- why just trusses?!?

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-16, 11:25 PM
I agree, Bob. This feature needs some improvements. I wonder if the Truss tool gives the same results in Revit Structure.

r.grandmaison
2010-05-17, 12:58 AM
I have both at work, and I believe it does. The OOTB truss should really behave and look more like a real truss. In fact, it would be really nice if you could automatically add plates to the connections, in the case of wood trusses, to make them REALLY look like trusses!

It doesn't take too long to cope the members- the coping tool makes short order of it (when it works as it should!!!), but still...seems rather needless when it should happen automagically.