PDA

View Full Version : Deployment for use on different machines at different times?

patricks
2010-05-17, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty much responsible for installing Revit and Revit updates on all machine in our office, but it never gets done at the same time. I usually end up putting it on my machine first, and then on others as the need arises for them to have the new versions. There's always tons of things I need to set up, like default file locations, keyboard shortcuts, etc. Is there a way to set up some kind of deployment that would simplify this process that I could use at will?

I know there is a "network deployment" function but I'm not familiar with that at all. Every time I install the program I always just click on the downloaded install file stored on our server.

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-17, 11:55 PM
Thats the function, lol...

Its not bad, just walk through the process and itll explain how to do it. You can place an .ini file for use in the deployment too.

Of course, if thats "all" that you have to set up and you dont have hundreds of machines to do, just install as normal and then replcae the .ini file with yours, sans username, before they log on.

Matt Stachoni
2010-05-18, 12:28 AM
Normally, Autodesk application deployments are the key to making installations easy, because it encapsulates all of the settings you would make in a typical installation - you enter in the serial number and other installation parameters once, and desktop installs are largely a one-click affair.

With Revit, however, deployments aren't as advanced or convenient as they are in, say AutoCAD or AutoCAD Architecture. There's no way to easily stage content, or distribute a standard keyboard shortcuts XML file. Another problem is that, as designed, the deployment wizard doesn't even know how to properly install content in the default local folder which is different based on the host OS.

What I do (and this is just me, YMMV) is first install an installation for development. On the dev machine, I copy the OOTB content to a server, and modify my Revit.ini file to point to that location for content, templates, and so on. I also modify my Places bar to add additional paths to corporate network content, and set up some keyboard shortcuts.

Then I set up a deployment where I opt to not install the content files, stage my customizations to a folder on the server deployment folder tree, then set up some simple batch files to install the deployment and copy the Revit.ini and other stuff after the facts.

Of course, I also have to install all of the Extensions and external tools as well, so I script those installations as well.

-Matt

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-18, 12:31 AM
Then I set up a deployment where I opt to not install the content files, stage my customizations to a folder on the server deployment folder tree, then set up some simple batch files to install the deployment and copy the Revit.ini and other stuff after the facts.

Of course, I also have to install all of the Extensions and external tools as well, so I script those installations as well.

-Matt

I do the same thing, except for this. You CAN go in your deployment, and wipe out the OOTB ini file with your own, and have it push through the deployment. It just has to get copied in to:

(Network location of deployment...)\RevitArch2011 x64\AdminImage\RevitSetup\RevitArchitecture\program files\Autodesk\Root\program

patricks
2010-05-18, 12:41 PM
ehh... scripts and batch files are beyond my knowledge. :( I've used them for other things before, but I don't know the language of how to create them.

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-18, 12:51 PM
ehh... scripts and batch files are beyond my knowledge. :( I've used them for other things before, but I don't know the language of how to create them.

Dude, if you still want to do the manual install, just do this after:

Go to YOUR mahcine. Go to Program Files/Autodes/Revit 2011/Program/Revit.ini

All you have to do is go in there, find the line saying:

username=Patrcks

And turn it in to

username=

Then overwrite the Revit.ini on the new installs. Obviously if youre on x64 this only works for x64, since the file paths for some things are different, but otherwise it handles all of your pathing stuff.

josh.made4worship
2010-05-18, 02:12 PM
Yeah, Patricks, it really is an easy process. Give it a shot...I always set ours to "silent install" as it makes the install process pretty much automatic. Once I install it on my computer, I have it download the content and the dump it to the default content server location. Then I have the deployment install "skip content installation" and just set the paths to the right location on the server...

Really is a peice of cake...setting up the deployment is all wizards and dialog boxes similiar to the install process you go through anyway...good luck!

josh.made4worship
2010-05-18, 02:14 PM
On another note, Aaron are you at Beck in Dallas? Just curious cause if so, I'm right down the road from you at Merriman Associates/Architects.

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-18, 04:34 PM
I am. :) Just moved down here from NYS a few weeks ago. :)

josh.made4worship
2010-05-18, 04:36 PM
very cool...I have gotten to go over to their office a few times for the Dallas Revit User Group Meetings...Kelly is a very cool cat...

How are you liking Dallas?

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-18, 04:38 PM
Lovin all of it. :) Im sure ill see you at the next Local Users Group.

Dallas is fantastic. Havent gotten to see much of it, im still "settling in." But its all good stuff. Awesome town.

josh.made4worship
2010-05-18, 04:38 PM
Yeah, it will be good to finally meet you : )

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-18, 05:01 PM
If they dont have one soon, we'll grab some beers. :)