PDA

View Full Version : Placing a void extrusion through beam system roof.

craigj78
2010-05-21, 05:31 AM
I've made a corrugate roofing profile and then placed the profile in a beam system. All is going well until I get to the end of the roof where it has an angular cut rather than a 90° cut. I've tried placing a void extrusion through the overhanging roofing sheets but that hasn't appeared to have worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cliff collins
2010-05-21, 01:02 PM
Try using a sloping reference plane at the end to "cut" the roofing at an angle.

This works for walls, not sure about your roof condition?

cheers

tropitech
2010-05-21, 01:32 PM
have you tried the cut geometry tool with your void?

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-21, 01:34 PM
One possible solution for this is as follows: Home > Set (specify a plane perpendicular to the extrusion of the corrugated roof element. Insert > Component > Model In-Place > Home > Extrusion (draw the corrugated profile, with a thickness, in a closed shape). Give it the start and end extrusion values as needed. Finish. Go to a side view, and rotate this model as per the slope of your beam system.
Now, from the side view, do this: Click on the extrusion > Edit In-Place > Home > Void Extrusion > Extrusion > Draw a slanted rectangle with the desired cutting angle (make sure the start and end extrusion are located in a way that it will cut the other main extrusion > Finish edit mode > Cut Geometry (select the main extrusion, select the slanted box) > Finish Edit In-Place.

craigj78
2010-09-18, 09:40 AM
I did not receive an email notifying me of the replys to my questions, and have only just noticed the small box that needs selecting at the bottom of this reply. The corrugate roofing was a panel 900mm wide created using the metric beam template so I could control the centres of each beam, in effect creating the roof as it would be built. It turned out that by using the openings by face tool, I could create an angular cut on each beam system "corrugate" and get a clean angled edge over around 5 "beams".

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-18, 12:09 PM
Wow, thanks for the update, five months later. I think the option you are referring to is on the top of the page (Threads > Subscribe to this thread), otherwise, the system does not send emails.

Well, I am glad to read that you solved this issue using Opening by face. That is sometimes the only option that works for cutting beams. I just wish I could do that to a group of elements in a beam system.

Welcome back.