PDA

View Full Version : Creating random mullions

matt__w
2010-05-21, 02:43 PM
Let me start off by saying that I use MEP, not Architecture.

I need to create some storefront with mullions (for one of those 1-in-a-million jobs). I've found out how to create them based on a fixed distance or number, but how do you add extra mullions? For example, I have verticals set at a fixed distance of 10', but I need to add 2 that are at 2.5'. How do I accomplish that? I assume it's the same process for horizontals as well?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-21, 02:56 PM
From an elevation view > Home > Curtain Grid > hover the cursor on a horizontal edge, locate the new vertical grid line; if necessary, type in 2'-6". You can also copy existing grid lines from any point to 2'-6" to the right or left.

jeffh
2010-05-21, 02:56 PM
Use the curtain grid tool to place a "random" division on the curtain wall. Once the grid has divided the wall where you want it, you will need to use the mullion tool to place a mullion on the grid.

matt__w
2010-05-21, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys!! :)

matt__w
2010-05-21, 05:38 PM
One more question... How do you REMOVE random mullions??

matt__w
2010-05-21, 06:14 PM
One more question... How do you REMOVE random mullions??

Found it! Add/Remove Segment on the Options bar.

DaveP
2010-05-21, 06:24 PM
To "randomly" locate mullions, you also need to make sure you've got a Curtain Wall Type that lets you set your own spacing.
The Out of the Box Template has an Exterior Glazing Curtain Wall and a Storefront.
The Exterior Glazing has the mullions (both Vertical and Horizontal) Layout parameter set to "Fixed Distance". With Fixed Distance, you've gotta live with the spacing in the Type.
In the Storefront, the Layouts are set to "Maximum Spacing". That will let you have anything LESS than that specified, but not more.

In the Curtain Wall Type, look under the Vertical Grid Pattern at the Layout parameter.
You'll want either None or Maximum Spacing (ditto for Horizontal)