PDA

View Full Version : google earth terrain cut + fill

diesellam
2010-05-24, 04:44 PM
I imported a sketchup file that has the google earth terrain in it.
I want to know what's the best way to do the 'cut + fill" of the terrain?

Like trying to figure out how much terrain (volume) needs to be excavated for the building?
How do I do the "cutout" of the footprint of the building into the terrain?

Thanks in advance,
David

mthurnauer
2010-05-24, 05:01 PM
I don't know how precise a google earth terrain will be, but that aside... Bring the terrain in and phase it as existing. Then do a graded region and pick to copy internal points. Next, create a building pad at the desired elevation and the pad should subtract out of the new site you should be able to do a cut/fill schedule.

r.grandmaison
2010-05-24, 06:10 PM
Easiest way to do it is to first finish the existing topography making any adjustments as necessary to make sure it's correct. Then once done, edit he properties on it to indicate that it's existing. Then copyclip the terrain into the clipboard and paste it back in to the exact same place. Select one of the terrains and then change its status to New Construction. Turn off the display of existing phases and then use the topography tools to change the spot elevations to reflect cuts/fills in your "new" terrain, create subregions, bulding pads, etc...

Now create a schedule for the category of Topography, and include whatever fields you like (usually cut and fill).