PDA

View Full Version : Plan Visibility of Family Geometry.

rkitect
2010-05-24, 10:49 PM
Please see attached images. I have made a project file available with this family here (http://revittotd.com/revit/SillyWall.rvt).

I think it's because this particular geometry does not cross the cut plane of the family nor the view in the project plan view in the project that the detail is associated with, but I wanted to run this by you guys as well. As you can see int he image below, I have some 1.5" protrusions from the face of the wall that are not showing up in my detail cut. You can see them in the 3d cut, but not in the detail view.

The protrusions are in a Sill.and.Lintel subcategory of Doors in the family and this is on in the detail view. The geometry in the family is set to show in plans and when cut in plan and rcp (i know this is a detail not a plan, No filters have it turned off and I can't think of anything else that would be preventing it from showing.

TIA,

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-25, 02:54 AM
Carl, the link to the family file is broken.

rkitect
2010-05-25, 04:48 AM
Sorry, fixed the link. Silly linux and it's caps sensitive self...

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-25, 11:03 AM
From the project file, I click on the door family and do > Edit family > select the extrusion (the 1.5" protrusions) and do > Unjoin geometry > Load into project > now they are visible in the detail.

rkitect
2010-05-25, 02:05 PM
*facedesk* What's interesting is that the geometry is joined with the profile below, which shows fine in plan views :/

Interesting, so Join Geometry strikes again, eh? BOOoo..

Thanks for that!

rkitect
2010-05-25, 02:13 PM
Aaaa Alfredo, you almost had me. It's not joined in my family. When I did try joining it I get the awesome "Cannot keep objects joined." error.

rkitect
2010-05-25, 02:15 PM
OK, too weird. The family that I uploaded (which is exactly the same as the one in my family minus removal of some lettering) contains joined geometry which can not be joined in my original family...

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-25, 02:43 PM
Carl, I just double checked, by downloading your file again, and my report is this: In the file you uploaded, if you click on Join (not Unjoin) Geometry, and you just hover the mouse around the arch and the protrusions, they highlight as one single object, and you can read that the tooltip says "Sill.and.Lintel: Joined Solid Geometry", therefore they are joined. If I now use Unjoin Geometry, and pick on the protrusions, load into project, the detail shows these items properly.

rkitect
2010-05-25, 02:50 PM
I guess we'll have to chalk this one up with YMMV. I wonder if it's a 2011 fix as this is in 2010. See attached image. Geometry is not joined in the model and yet does not show in the detail.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-25, 03:12 PM
... I wonder if it's a 2011 fix as this is in 2010. ...
That could be a reason, since I'm doing my tests with 2011. (Oops, I should have told you before)