PDA

View Full Version : Hipped Bonnet Tiles

barrie.sharp
2010-05-26, 11:04 AM
Any ideas? Please see attached. What is the most elequent way of modelling these down a hip?

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-26, 11:36 AM
Any ideas? Please see attached. What is the most elequent way of modelling these down a hip?

Personally, id model them out of a solid roof fascia, unless i had a visualization NEED to show every single one of them. Then, id make it as a Line Based family with a nested family array, hosted to one face of the ridge. Thatll be fun. :)

barrie.sharp
2010-05-26, 11:40 AM
I can see where you are going. It is imperative on this that the visualisation is right because it's being used in a boudary dispute! Should be a giggle. Do I have to put a rotate parameter to match the host pitch?

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-26, 11:43 AM
I can see where you are going. It is imperative on this that the visualisation is right because it's being used in a boudary dispute! Should be a giggle. Do I have to put a rotate parameter to match the host pitch?

My guess is youll want a few parameters, to control variations along different roof pitches. Youve got two slopes to consider. Both parameters fo in the individual unit family, then in the line based that the indiv gets nested in to. But itll be "based" on one side of the roof.

I suppose you could use a similar family NOT based on the roof, and manually draw work planes. Then you wouldnt have to mess with as MANY angles, but eff that.

dzatto
2010-05-26, 02:00 PM
Okay, I have to ask. Why does it matter for a boundry dispute? They are within the wall line, so the wall would be where the encroachment is. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seems like a big pain to model those things, and if you really didn't need to...............

barrie.sharp
2010-05-26, 02:07 PM
The neighbour knocked down an external structure to route services to their own property and rebuilt it to a poor spec with bad detailing. The finishing of the ridge and hips are a particular bone of contention. Believe me, I would not model this if I didn't have to!!!!!!... and one for luck...!

They really do want this detail and I haven't gone into anything like this before because it was previously unnecessary. Yay :|

I'm hoping it isn't too much hassle :?

dzatto
2010-05-26, 03:40 PM
The neighbour knocked down an external structure to route services to their own property and rebuilt it to a poor spec with bad detailing. The finishing of the ridge and hips are a particular bone of contention. Believe me, I would not model this if I didn't have to!!!!!!... and one for luck...!

They really do want this detail and I haven't gone into anything like this before because it was previously unnecessary. Yay :|

I'm hoping it isn't too much hassle :?
aaahhhhhh. Okay, Have fun!

barrie.sharp
2010-05-26, 03:44 PM
Fun is not the word! Bonett tiles are not obvious to model. :beer:

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-26, 04:31 PM
Actually, if its for boundary dispute, you DONT need them modeled at that level of detail. A Roof Fascia that has a profile matching one in section, will create a form as tall as the largest portion, continuously, which achieves the same goal for boundary dispute. Unless the neighbor is thinking of getting so close that cables are snaked between those pieces...

A vase whos largest diameter (in a constantly variable radiused form) is 2', can be clash detected with a 2' diameter cylinder.

barrie.sharp
2010-05-27, 10:57 AM
Actually, if its for boundary dispute, you DONT need them modeled at that level of detail. A Roof Fascia that has a profile matching one in section, will create a form as tall as the largest portion, continuously, which achieves the same goal for boundary dispute. Unless the neighbor is thinking of getting so close that cables are snaked between those pieces...

A vase whos largest diameter (in a constantly variable radiused form) is 2', can be clash detected with a 2' diameter cylinder.
You are right. However, in this case the dispute is over rebuilding the structure to the same spec as the one that was knocked down. We have to draw what it should look like as opposed to the one that they replaced it with. They didn't even use hip tiles, they just used a mortar joint which looks grim. We have to show precisely what the hip detail would look like against photos of the new one.