PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2011 & Multiple Screens

rudolfweyers346383
2010-05-27, 08:10 AM
Has anybody tried out revit 2011 on multiple/dual screens? does it work? If not, any work arounds?

Scott Womack
2010-05-27, 10:57 AM
I use 2011 daily on dual monitors. Vertually all major users of Revit in this form has dual monitors. It works great! Only issue will be your graphic card and version of your video drivers.

rudolfweyers346383
2010-05-27, 11:00 AM
Ive got a Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT video card with dual view capabilities. Ok so how do I set it up then?

Scott Womack
2010-05-27, 11:06 AM
We use Nvidea Quatro FX cards, thad they actually have two monitor connectors on the card itself. We have the FX 1500, 1700, and one other version in various machines. In windows, you'll have to tell it you have two monitors, then in the driver as well. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

rudolfweyers346383
2010-05-27, 11:42 AM
I understand how to set the monitors...What i want to know is in revit...how can i set it up to have 2 or more views open at the same time, split over the 2 screens. Because when you maximise a view in revit, it fills the whole screen. It there a way to set up views like in 3DS max or Autocad.

arqt49
2010-05-27, 12:08 PM
It there a way to set up views like in 3DS max or Autocad.

No way.
There are no commands to manage the views opened in Revit.
Nevertheless is use 2 monitors with Revit extened to both, and resize all windows by hand. It's a tedious job, but seeing all changes propagate in all views is most rewarding.
I tend to don't use the windows tile command because some views get in the middle of both screens.

patricks
2010-05-27, 01:11 PM
I used to have a setting in my nVIDIA control panel that said "prevent child windows from spanning multiple displays" or allow it or something, and when choosing the option that did NOT allow it, you could stretch Revit across 2 screens, and when you hit Max on a view window it would only max out to the work area of a single screen.

I don't see that setting now. It may be part of the nVIEW software, which is not currently installed on my system.

arqt49
2010-05-27, 02:23 PM
Patricks, I was not talking about the main revit window, but of the windows inside it (the MDI).

patricks
2010-05-27, 02:42 PM
Patricks, I was not talking about the main revit window, but of the windows inside it (the MDI).

I know, the windows for each Revit view are known as "child" windows. The nVIEW software has a setting such that when you maximize a child window, it will not span multiple screens, even though the main program window does span multiple screens.

dmoodydesign
2010-05-27, 02:54 PM
I have it installed and couldn't get that setting to work for Revit. Too bad, wished it would.

2010 on Win7

I know, the windows for each Revit view are known as "child" windows. The nVIEW software has a setting such that when you maximize a child window, it will not span multiple screens, even though the main program window does span multiple screens.

Ning Zhou
2010-05-27, 03:07 PM
so "child" window (Revit view window) cannot be dragged out of "parent" window (Revit mainframe window), is this the way Revit designed? seems Browser / Properties window can be dragged around, did i miss something here? if not, then what is the workaround?
seems bigger monitor is better than more monitors if that's always the case.

dzatto
2010-05-27, 03:08 PM
I'm actually running 3 monitors. That's how I run ACA (autocad), and I just switched to Revit so I kept all 3 monitors.
It works great if you can get another cheap video card and a third small monitor. I have 2 Dell 21" wide screens running on a Quadro FX 570, and a regular 19" flat screen running on an Nvidia NVS 290. I put my properties palette and project browser on the 19".

As far as the child windows, since I'm stretching revit across 2 monitors with the dialogue boxes on the third, all my drawing windows split perfectly when I tile them as long as I dont' go over 4. It works great!

The only thing is when launching Revit, I need to manually stretch it across 2 monitors. Not a big deal.

dzatto
2010-05-27, 03:18 PM
Just realized it you manually minimize a drawing window, then tile windows, it leaves the ones you minimized. So I can have my project and a few views open, then minimize them when I create a family and only those windows will be tiled. That helps a lot.

mbeham
2010-05-27, 04:27 PM
If you want to look at running AutoHotKeys someone on here posted a way to be able to hit 1 or 2 keys that will maximize revit to both screens and allows you to tile views as needed.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=110100&referrerid=152361

i've tried them out it works pretty good i just didnt go further with the autohotkeys.

patricks
2010-05-27, 05:05 PM
I just checked the options in my nVIEW desktop manager. Under the Windows tab, there is an option to Enable Window Spanning Across Multiple Displays. You need to have this one checked to allow Revit to span more than one display. Under that there is a sub-option for the child window spanning. If you disable this one, then the view windows in Revit should NOT span multiple displays when you maximize the view window.

cdatechguy
2010-05-27, 05:12 PM
I had nothing but issues using that desktop manager....I wound up never installing it on my Win 7 machine....

iankids
2010-05-27, 09:19 PM
I'm actually running 3 monitors. That's how I run ACA (autocad), and I just switched to Revit so I kept all 3 monitors.
It works great if you can get another cheap video card and a third small monitor. I have 2 Dell 21" wide screens running on a Quadro FX 570, and a regular 19" flat screen running on an Nvidia NVS 290. I put my properties palette and project browser on the 19".

As far as the child windows, since I'm stretching revit across 2 monitors with the dialogue boxes on the third, all my drawing windows split perfectly when I tile them as long as I dont' go over 4. It works great!

The only thing is when launching Revit, I need to manually stretch it across 2 monitors. Not a big deal.

Hi Dzatto,

As long as the screens are set up as one extended screen, the AutoHotKey script I wrote could be easily adapted to suit any number of monitors. As noted above you can find the script at http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=110100&referrerid=152361

The script functions on the name of the child window. For my idiosycratic way of working, I have Plans, Elevations, Sections & Sheets on the left hand screen and keep the right hand screen exclusively for the 3d views. With three screens you can adapt it to have, for example, Plans and Elevations on one, Sections & Sheets on another & 3d on the third.

Cheers,

Ian

Dave Jones
2010-05-28, 04:46 PM
I understand how to set the monitors...What i want to know is in revit...how can i set it up to have 2 or more views open at the same time, split over the 2 screens. Because when you maximise a view in revit, it fills the whole screen. It there a way to set up views like in 3DS max or Autocad.
try UltraMon. It quick spans your Revit windows across both monitors and back again. You still have to manually adjust the child views to fit though