PDA

View Full Version : Length QTO of Sweeps

narlee
2010-05-28, 01:00 AM
One instance in which I am likely to use a sweep, is one in which my object has two or more lengths, joined by a series of "turns." Right? Crown Moulding is a prime example. To piece a bunch of straight pieces together is time consuming and requires the use of voids to do the corners properly.

So, if I want the "Length" of one of my multi-length sweeps to show up in a schedule, I ________?

Teresa.Martin
2010-05-28, 01:58 AM
You can schedule wall sweeps and add the length parameter to get the lengths. You would then need to select the Length parameter and under the formatting tab check 'Calculate Totals'. Switch to the Sorting/Grouping tab and check grand totals at the bottom. This will give you the total length.

If you have added embedded sweeps (they are part of the wall assembly itself, added through the edit assembly dialog box) you will not be able to break out the sweeps as a separate category from the wall.
Best regards,

narlee
2010-05-28, 12:27 PM
Hmm. I don't deal with wall sweeps, only in-place sweeps. But, perhaps I can figure out a way to make my sweeps-item-only as a "wall sweep."

Thanks, Teresa.

Alfredo Medina
2010-05-28, 12:37 PM
Hmm. I don't deal with wall sweeps, only in-place sweeps. But, perhaps I can figure out a way to make my sweeps-item-only as a "wall sweep."

If the usage is for crown moulding, as you mentioned, using wall sweep is easier than using solid sweeps.

narlee
2010-05-28, 02:36 PM
Except I sometimes run it over non-wall items (I try to break as many Revit-rules as possible :)).

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-28, 04:52 PM
In place sweeps are completely off limits to our users. Theyre nothing but headaches. If you want to run them over multiple faces of objects, consider a Line Based Family. Itll report length, you can model it with chamfering ends without much work, and it isnt picky about hosts.

The downsides are it wont automatically get cut by hosts like a wall sweep will. But either will your in places...

Ning Zhou
2010-05-28, 08:03 PM
use line based family if no need of cutting host, or face based family w/ void inside if need of cutting host, all can be linear scheduled.

narlee
2010-05-29, 05:56 PM
In place sweeps are completely off limits to our users. Theyre nothing but headaches

Why?

BTW, I tried line based, but I guess I would need to model all the turns before I brought them into the project.

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-29, 06:29 PM
Why?

BTW, I tried line based, but I guess I would need to model all the turns before I brought them into the project.

You make the ends parametric and instance based, so you can change the end conditions of each piece.

Why are in-place families off limits? Because theyre lousy. They form relationships to objects around them that are undesireable, they dont contain all of the power and intelligence of regular families, its not as efficient and repeatable as a regular family. They dont group well, they dont mirror well, they dont copy well. They dont constrain well, and you cant get them out of the project when youre done with them.

And after all of that, theres also not (in my opinion) an actual good reason for using them. Generally, if someone wants to use an in place family, i can find a much better tool for what they want to do.