PDA

View Full Version : Can't save a 2011 file in 2011???

patricks
2010-05-28, 06:26 PM
Yesterday I opened a detached version of a Central file on a user's laptop in order to save it as its own Central file on the laptop to be used for a meeting. This file is a 2011 Revit file. I opened the Central file and selected the Detach option, the file opened, and then I tried to do a Save As to the user's desktop. A warning box came up saying something to the effect of: "this file was opened in a later version and cannot be saved". Da heck?!?! How could it be OPENED in a later version if it was open right there on the screen, and obviously in the latest version???

gwnelson
2010-05-28, 06:34 PM
We all know that Rvt files aren't backward compatible. Maybe in this version they've simplified it & dropped the backward.

cliff collins
2010-05-28, 06:37 PM
Make sure the builds of RAC 2011 are IDENTICAL on both machines.

Make sure one is not a beta version.

Try doing the same save on another machine.

that's all I got

cheers

patricks
2010-05-28, 07:19 PM
All machines in the office run the RTM build of 2011.

twiceroadsfool
2010-05-28, 07:49 PM
We've had that happen as well, to 3 families in the office, that say they were saved in a later version and cannot be saved. Its always happened at thee nd of the day, and always on a workstation thats been entrenched in family editing all day, which makes me think its a system resources thing. But once those families get twisted, i had to recreate them from scratch.

Its certifably not different revit versions, as there is ONLY one version in this office. All the content was created in the new version, as well.

Alan aka cadalot
2010-05-29, 05:56 AM
Have either of you reported this to Autodesk?

Perhaps it would be good for you to both report and state that the other has also reported the same problem. And send them the files you can't open etc

Tyveka
2010-09-16, 03:45 PM
Any solution to this? We are having the same problem on our systems here.
Thank you!

jeffh
2010-09-16, 04:11 PM
I saw this happen to a student of mine just on Tuesday night. The problem was a permissions issue. the student did not have permiossion to save the file to the location she wanted to. Once we directed it to the desktop it saved fine.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-16, 04:12 PM
No, but interestingly enough: Those files are on our network, and now we cant delete them AT ALL.

Weve tried from Linux, from the server, from every username with admin rights, etc. We cant rename the directory, delete the folder, get rid of the families.... Anything. Theyre stuck. And theyre a total PITA.

jspartz
2010-09-16, 05:02 PM
Same here, saving to the desktop got around it for some reason. I should have checked the journal file though to see what it logged for version.

To get rid of the files, it thinks it's still be accessed by some process running on someone's computer. The only way is to shut down the computer that you think it thinks is accessing it. It's a guessing game. Once the computer is rebooted, it will break the tie to it. Or you could force a delete through DOS or the Linux terminal. For DOS del /F. For a unix terminal, rmdir -f.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-16, 05:12 PM
No, we cant. Weve shut down every machine, including the server. No machines are accessing it, no machines HAVE access to it. Weve tried the Linux thing as well. no dice. Theyre as stuck as ive ever seen files get.

UpNorth
2010-09-16, 06:08 PM
We had a similar problem, but the file was on a users C drive. Reboots, Differnt users, and more would not delete the file or all us to work in it. I think we were able to make a workable copy of it after starting the computer in Safe Mode. But this was a local drive, not a server location.

FYI: I just had a similar problem with Civil 3D 2011. Made some changes to the company title block and did a Save As to 2007 format. After that, users were crashing while tring to link raster images and opening the file in Acad 2011 gave the "created in a newer version" warning. Was able to resolve the problem by using Civ3D's Export to AutoCAD feature - which is differnt than Save As.

The OP's problem sounds like an issue for support.

DaveP
2010-09-16, 07:33 PM
No, we cant. Weve shut down every machine, including the server. No machines are accessing it, no machines HAVE access to it. Weve tried the Linux thing as well. no dice. Theyre as stuck as ive ever seen files get.

Not sure about Linux, but Windows server has a program called the Open Files Agent under the Microsoft Management Console (OpenFiles.msc). It will tell you who has a file open for Read or Write and will let you force it closed.

Maybe there's a Linux equivalent to OpenFiles.msc.
If not, maybe I've just invoked a cleaner version of Rule 35 and someone is writing it now.

wmullett
2010-09-16, 07:40 PM
Could your problem be related to theis discussion at RevitCITY?

http://www.revitcity.com/forums.php?action=viewthread&thread_id=20232

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-16, 08:37 PM
Not sure about Linux, but Windows server has a program called the Open Files Agent under the Microsoft Management Console (OpenFiles.msc). It will tell you who has a file open for Read or Write and will let you force it closed.

Maybe there's a Linux equivalent to OpenFiles.msc.
If not, maybe I've just invoked a cleaner version of Rule 35 and someone is writing it now.

No one has the file opened. I cant make it any more clear than that, LOL.

johnf.77896
2010-09-16, 08:37 PM
Yesterday I opened a detached version of a Central file on a user's laptop in order to save it as its own Central file on the laptop to be used for a meeting. This file is a 2011 Revit file. I opened the Central file and selected the Detach option, the file opened, and then I tried to do a Save As to the user's desktop. A warning box came up saying something to the effect of: "this file was opened in a later version and cannot be saved". Da heck?!?! How could it be OPENED in a later version if it was open right there on the screen, and obviously in the latest version???

I thought that you were supposed to select the detach from central radio button on the open dialog box, while opening your local file on your laptop, not the central file? Then once it is detached save it to your laptop and then do a saveas and save as a central file on your laptop.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-16, 08:56 PM
Thats not causing the problem. You can DFC from a central, or a local.

jim.handley
2010-09-16, 09:09 PM
Are you sure you had a properly licensed copy of the software on the laptop? You can sometimes get a message like that if the machine is running in demo mode. We had problems in our office during training if all the licenses on the network were in use. You can open the file, but not save.

jspartz
2010-09-16, 09:49 PM
Aaron, download Unlocker - it is free. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ It should detect what has the file locked and break the connection for you when you click unlock all.

DaveP
2010-09-16, 10:36 PM
No one has the file opened. I cant make it any more clear than that, LOL.
I have not doubt that that's what YOU think, but is that what the server thinks?
I've seen instances before where, even after the offending machine was shut down, the server jsut refused to let go of the file.
Again though, I'm talking Windows.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-17, 01:21 AM
I have not doubt that that's what YOU think, but is that what the server thinks?
I've seen instances before where, even after the offending machine was shut down, the server jsut refused to let go of the file.
Again though, I'm talking Windows.

Ill concede that the server may still THINK someone has the file opened, but how thats the case after two MONTHS, during which time:

The servers been shut down multiple times, no users have had write access to the file but me, my computers been off the grid for a majority of the time, im curious how. Anyway, ill forward all suggestions to IT, but theyre a pretty forward thinking group and so far theyve got nothing.