PDA

View Full Version : Created family - Parts displaced?

kappy
2010-06-03, 12:12 PM
Please see my attached image for a picture of my problem.

I've just created a family, kind of like a sink. Parts have been copy/pasted and moved around somewhat, but in the family editor everything fits/looks great. (The left picture)

But when I load my file into a project, it looks like on the right pic. Some parts are randomly displaced, and I don't really know what's causing this.

I guess you guys have also had this problem, and I guess that you know how to solve it.

Is it possible to notice in some way what's been done wrong, or will I have to redo the whole model with new associations etc?

Kindest regards

EDIT!!: I guess I just solved it. I can post it here so if someone searches for the solution they can find it.

The parts that I copy/pasted, I deleted and made new ones specifically attached to the planes etc, not just placed there.

ajayholland
2010-06-03, 01:17 PM
When creating wall-hosted families it's always a good idea to 'flex' the wall thickness.
~AJH

patricks
2010-06-03, 02:27 PM
Do you have a ref plane aligned and locked to the face of the wall in the family, and then all your geometry constrained to that place? If not you'll run into those kinds of issues when hosting the family to walls of different thickness.

Another method is to build the family as a generic, unhosted model, and then nest that into a wall-hosted family of the proper category, i.e. plumbing fixtures. That way you can simply align and lock the nested family to the wall face reference plane in the plumbing fixture template, and maybe put another parameter for the height or whatever you need.