PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - No more ceilings deleted when moving walls (hopefully)!

patricks
2010-06-03, 02:03 PM
In the past, if you have a ceiling object that was automatically placed in a space with more than 4 walls (more than 4 edges to the ceiling sketch), and then you moved walls such that one of those ceiling edges went away (like when aligning walls), you got an error saying the ceiling sketch was invalid, elements would be deleted, and unless you canceled out of the operation, the ceiling was zapped.

Well now it appears that has been improved in 2011, where it will just automatically remove the offending sketch lines that go away when aligning walls. You'll still get a warning message about the sketch line getting deleted, or that it can't keep objects joined or whatever, but it will still keep the ceiling object in place.

This is even better if lights and other ceiling-hosted objects have been placed in that ceiling. Before I would have to edit the ceiling sketch to get the sketch lines off of the walls, before actually doing any wall moving, to avoid having the ceiling AND all the lights disappear.

Hoorah - should save us lots of time during SD's and DD's when things are still shifting around, etc. :)

patricks
2010-06-03, 02:06 PM
Also, if there are lights placed in an area of ceiling that goes away as a result of walls moving, only those lights in that area go away. The rest of the lights in the ceiling remain in place. :cool:

Alex Page
2010-06-03, 10:43 PM
Excellent - its these deletions which are deal breakers with Revit . I havent seen this documented anywhere...you think its the same for all objects? (floors etc).

thomas.163390
2010-06-04, 07:01 AM
Works exactly the same way i Revit 2009 as far as I can tell...

patricks
2010-06-04, 02:15 PM
Well I just performed a series of operations in 2010 with aligning walls with a ceiling in a room, and it caused the ceiling to be deleted. When I ran through the same operations in 2011, the ceiling remained in place.

However a few other operations caused the ceiling to be deleted in both 2010 and 2011.

So yes there is definitely improvement in this regard, but there are still a few "gotcha's".

patricks
2010-06-21, 03:42 PM
Yep, definitely still happens in 2011. Not as much of an improvement as I thought. :(

I have a ceiling created automatically in a room with 3 wall segments in a straight line on one side. I had to change the 2 end walls to a thicker wall, which caused errors and the ceiling to be deleted (middle wall needs to be something else).